Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Remington's Quality Issues......Please inform me.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2002, 02:17 PM
Silver Member

Remington\'s Quality Issues......Please inform me.

I have noticed more than one person saying that Remington is having Quality Control issues in their currently manufactured rifles, yet I have not heard of any specifics. Could any informed person kindly bring these problems into perspective for me? I am a long time Remington fan and am about to purchase a 700VS in .308 so this information is of upmost relevance to me. Thanks!!! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
.35 Whelen
6mm Ackley
7mm BR
6mm PPC

"Sic Semper Tyrannus"
Old 12-02-2002, 02:48 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Remington\'s Quality Issues......Please inform me.

I have just had the opportunity to shoot a brand new VS in .308 Win. and have a few comments. The rifle does not have any major flaws, unlike some of the Remington tales that are common these days.
The only significant change that I can notice is the switch to Bell and Carlson stock from the H-S Precision. Different finish and some subtle changes in the profile. Only boo-boo would be the location of the front swivel stud, it seems to be moved ahead and a Harris barely fits on the forend.

My friend cut the trigger weight of pull down a bit and broke the rifle in with 35-40 rounds, shoot and clean. The rifle shot three BHA 175's inside 0.5" at 100, we called that good and started banging a 12"x12" steel target out at 700 yards. Got very consistent hits if we held the rifle well. Leupold 4x-14x - 50mm tactical scope in dual dovetails.

We only shot it one day so I would not call that a huge test, about 125 rounds but the rifle did what we wanted it to with no problems.
Old 12-02-2002, 07:27 PM
Silver Member

Mindcrime,

The major problems from those that are posting:

Barrel offset in or touching stock due to either bad stock or offset action holes in receiver

Scope mounting holes drilled off center

Wooden stock warping when put in dehumidified safe

Partial rifling missing from end of barrel

broken extractors

bolt handles breaking off for no apartent reason

off center chambers

oblong chambers

rough chambers preventing smooting extraction

extremely rough bores cause ecessive fouling

Bad or offset crowns

If you go through the archives of the Sniper Country Duty Roster over the last three or so years, you will get first hand account of all of these.

I'm not saying that all Remingtons are problem rifles, but I'd take extra time to really check one over before I accepted it.

Something else that concerned me was an account of a shooter who was getting 1.5 to 2" groups at 100 yards with FedGMM 168's. He sent the rifle back and they shipped it back to him saying 2MOA is factory standard for a PSS. Ahhh,,, they should say that when they market them as LE packages.

Again,, not a Remington basher,, I'll likely be picking up a 1970's model 700 LA for my next project Saturday,, but pay attension to what you're buying.

FatBoy...
Old 12-03-2002, 11:05 AM
Silver Member

Thanks Ian; and FatBoy you are scaring me!!! YIKES!!! [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] I am actually looking for a fairly used PSS or VS without the new fangled firing pin block in the shroud. If the barrel is shot out, no problemo, maybe I can get it even cheaper and install a Lilja.

Any other comments from experienced Remington buffs?
.35 Whelen
6mm Ackley
7mm BR
6mm PPC

"Sic Semper Tyrannus"
Old 12-03-2002, 11:24 AM
Silver Member

Mindcrime,

There's a gunshow Saturday and Sunday at the Fairgrounds. You should be able to buy something there. If you had planned on spending $700 for a PSS,, maybe you could look into spending $300 to $400 more and building off a ADL receiver.

$300 for action
$200 for Pac Nor barrel
$200 for chamber/fitting/trueing at Pac Nor
$300 for McMillan stock (or $150 for PSS take off)
$2 for a can of black Krylon paint.

PSS and VS's don't come bedded, so bedding and trigger work you'd pay for anyway, but you'd have a rifle that's built to your spec, not some lawyers.

FatBoy...
Old 12-03-2002, 01:20 PM
Silver Member

FB, I normally go to Bob Pope's gun shows, they tend to have better selections. The next Pope is Dec 21-22 and I will be there with cash in hand. BTW, I do my own trigger work and have gotten pretty good with bedding too---although my 7mm BR XP-100 and the VZ-24 .35 Whelen were real headaches! [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] Thanks for the idea of a complete build up again. I am just recovering from the 6mm Ackley.....I had to sell a Raging Bull just to buy the .308 being so close to Christmas and all. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
.35 Whelen
6mm Ackley
7mm BR
6mm PPC

"Sic Semper Tyrannus"
Old 12-03-2002, 01:38 PM
Silver Member

I forgot you do build,,, sorry 'bout that.

Also,, I'm not trying to say the all Remingtons are crap. As with everything else,,, you lays yer money down and takes yter chances....

I too like the Pope shows, but have always gotten the best deals at the Goodman shows.

FatBoy...