Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Remington VSSF factory stock quality

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2004, 01:34 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Remington VSSF factory stock quality

Ok new Remington on the market.The 700 lightvarmint called 700LVSF 6 3/4 pounds 22"BBLMedium Contour and is fluted Black composit stock with semi Beavertail fore end Remington r3 recoil pad.Stainless stell pillerbedded.Looks good,but lately Remington has had quality control problems,is that true? Figure I might want it in 223,22" BBL 300yd yote and sqirlle rifle.Is this a good rig? [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 08-09-2004, 08:23 AM
Silver Member

...to be honest, every h-s stock I've looked at was disappointing.... no two of them are the same, they all have visible surface "flaws" which causes me "no confidence" on the internal structure... when commiting to re-stocking a varmint rifle, you must "believe" you've used components which won't "haunt you" later.... just my "subjective" opinion... go with "McMillan" and no worries!
Old 08-14-2004, 06:52 PM
Bronze Member

Aussie:

I think the one poster is a bit mis-informed, but it could be me! I am almost certain that the Rem varint synthetic is an HS precision and has always been an HS precision. Macs are better so they say but they are also more expensive.

The US Army sniper rifle is a rem 700 long action chunked into a HS precision stock, not exactly the same as the rem varmint but very similar.

I have 2 HS stocks and like them very much. But then again I have never owned a Mac nor could afford one.

Good luck.

But hey... that fellow on another thread was complaining about his HS rifle that would only shoot in the .3's

Oh my! Wish I had such problems!
Old 08-14-2004, 09:01 PM
Bronze Member

It varies. I've had 3. One VSSF and one Sendero SF were real good. The other Sendero SF, a .25-'06, had a bubble on one side under the forend that pressed against the barrel.

Make sure you're barrel is really free floated or really has contact, halfway in between sucks.

I've had real good luck with HS Precision stocks I've ordered directly from them.
Old 08-23-2004, 12:12 PM

Iron Worker,

I think the Remington 700 Light Varmint looks really sharp, and I love the Remington 700 rifles (I own 3). I have heard tales over the last couple of years of quality problems with Remington, but my rifles do fine. My son has a 700 ADL Synthetic in .223 which is a good shooter.

I was wanting to get a lightweight varminter and was looking at the Remington. I tried one at Bass Pro Shop a couple of weeks ago, and when I unlocked the bolt and started to pull it back, it would stick - very noticable. I expect a LOT more from a $700 + rifle. I also wanted a faster twist than Remington's 1-in-12 so I could shoot longer ranges with heavier bullets.

I started looking at the Savage 16FSS and was leaning that way until someone mentioned the Tikka T3 Lite Stainless. The Tikka has a 1-in-8 twist, looks good, has a good reputation for accuracy from what I've heard, and has a user tunable trigger from 2-4 lbs. After I looked into the Tikka, I finally decided to order one. They are kind of hard to come by this time of year, but I hope to have one soon. The price for the T3 lite stainless is around $500.

BTW, I have a Remington 700 VS with the H-S Precision stock, and I really like the stock. Fit and finish is great and it seems to be very well made. I just recently ordered a Bell and Carlson Carbelite Classic stock for my Remington 700 ADL and sent it back. The front bolt hole didn't line up, the fit and finish were unimpressive, and the bolt handle rubbed against the stock. I was expecting it to be stiffer and lighter than the factory ADL stock, but it was neither.

I agree with others that the McMillan stocks are awesome, but you do have to pay for that quality. People always tell me this stock or that stock is as good as a McMillan for half the cost, but I am always disappointed. One of these days I'm gonna spring for a McMillan.
Old 08-23-2004, 12:15 PM

Iron Worker,

Another good choice IMO would be the CZ 527 Varmint Kevlar. The standard 527s are 1-in-12 twist, but the varmints are 1-in-9. The mini mauser actions are good, and it has a detachable mag. They are also fairly light for a heavy barrel varminter.

[ 08-23-2004: Message edited by: Mike in NC ]