Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Remington VSSF factory stock quality

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2004, 10:36 PM

Remington VSSF factory stock quality

I would appreciate feedback on the standard factory stock quality and accuracy ability of the Remington VS.
Thanks in advance.
Old 07-17-2004, 08:29 AM
Silver Member

Re: Remington VSSF factory stock quality

...if you already own the h-s precision stock, be sure to skim bed the aluminum bedding block; if you're thinking about buying a stock, buy the McMillan instead...they're well worth the price....jmo
Old 07-17-2004, 09:55 PM
Silver Member

APB
I have a REM 700 VSSF in 22-250. I like the "stock" stock very well. It isn't the soft flexable plastic like a lot, it is hard and rigid, inspires a bit more confidence. On one outing I had to remove the action in the field. I was worried about gettting back to zero. When I tested it, 3 out of 4 prarrie dogs agreed that it was good enough [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I believe that Bell & Carlson made the one that I have. I heard that Remington went cheap for a while then came back to B&C.

[ 07-17-2004: Message edited by: RBrowning ]
Old 07-19-2004, 04:54 AM
Silver Member

APB ,
My VSSF had hairline cracks through the butt from new . Because I bought the rifle second hand (it had fired only 60 shots) I couldn't go back to Remington for warranty . I faxed HS Precision and they didn't even bother to reply . NOT HAPPY ! [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
Had it repaired by Corporal Trading in Queensland and it has been good since .
Get yours skim bedded and hopefully it will be o.k. .Bedding block doesn't bear evenly on the tang or around front action screw without bedding .
As far as standard accuracy is concerned I've read as good as 0.25 inches , my .22/250 shot 1.25 inches with everything until I rebarrelled it with a Tobler .

[ 07-19-2004: Message edited by: Aussie ]
Old 07-21-2004, 02:22 PM

I build a lot of stocks and have preferred building from Richards Microfit blanks. The laminated look is appealing to me, though a bit heavy to some. The main reason I suggest building is so the rifle can be built to you. By building, you have the opportunity to remove a lot of (human error) ergonomic factors. By making the rifle an extension of your body, you can pick it up and need to adjust nothing! By doing this, you know in an instant whether the bad shot was your fault or not. The good shots almost always increase, or at least have done so with the ones I've built (customer feedback). I also pillar bed almost everything I build and use steel pillars that I make myself. I use only Probed 2000 epoxy for the action, and usually use acraglass for the barrel channel with at least .012 clearance free float. Plus mixing dye with the acraglass makes it look really sharp on the stock. Don't see many reports on Richard's Microfit, but I've been using them for years and love em. They don't shrink or expand from extreme temperature deviation, they're waterproof, and have impressed 100% of my customers.
Old 07-21-2004, 11:24 PM
Silver Member

my factory VSSF in 220swift (with the B&C stock) has gone into the .1's when I was shooting well,..and .25moa is nothing to be suprised at.
Old 07-31-2004, 01:06 AM

My Rem. vssf in 308 shot nicely out of the box in 1999. Best 5 shot groups were 1/2" at 200yds a few times with hand loads. 300yd best were 1" or a little more. Didn't shoot it beyond 300yds tho, but I was pleased given I was new to the game. I'm assuming that was good performance for a factory varmint. I don't think they make it in 308 anymore. Too bad. I'd get another one since I had to sell it last year.