Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Rem or Savage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2004, 11:05 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Rem or Savage

Yep. Had to throw another hundred bucks at the Rem to have a trigger as nice as the accutrigger on the Savage - that on top of the fact the Rem cost more to start with.

Both rifles can be made to shoot extremely well. I can speak for the Savage's accuracy out of the box. That said, Rem has been more porpular, and for longer. As such, there just isn't as much off-the-shelf stuff available for the Savage.

Now, how much of that drop-in aftermarket stuff really makes it more accurate? The stock really seems to be the only item on the list, and for maximum accuracy you need to fit it to the action by bedding it anyway, so some custom work needs to be done. If you need to do custom work anyway, you can start with either action and get to the same end for about the same cost.

I really think there are more Remmingtons in competition because of product familiarity and marketing. The winchesters make great customs, as do the Savages. Availability of bare Remmington actions and the fact that just about every smith out there knows how to trick them out has created a larger market for them that the rifles themselves merrit.

The added bonus of being able to switch calibers easily on the savage allows me to have two guns for the price of one Remmington, and my targets don't know what I'm shooting anyhow.