Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Rem or Savage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2004, 12:59 AM

Rem or Savage

Which is the better for long range accuracy and barrell/stock conversion to custom brands: Rem. Sendero or Savage in either 300 or 338 RUM. What is a decent muzzle brake for the money? I want to build an accurate long range (600 - 1000+yds) target/tactical rifle. Any other better options/ideas for this as far as caliber, etc? Thanks. Dogear
Old 07-10-2004, 06:32 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Rem or Savage

Take this for what its worth: when I was at Williamsport last weekend for the 1,000yd world open, I expected to find mostly custom actions on all those precision rifles. Surprisingly, I saw many, many Rem 700 actions along with the custom actions. I did not see a single Savage action at the match. If there was one, I didn't see it.

Without a doubt, there are far more bells and whistles for customizing Remington actions than there are for savages.

With that said, Savages seem to be capable of producing much better accuracy than their reasonable price tag would lead you to believe. But if I intended to trick out a sporting rifle, it would be a Rem 700.

VH
Old 07-10-2004, 07:10 AM
Silver Member

...aftermarket "Jewell" trigger alone is enough reason to go fo the remington...
Old 07-10-2004, 08:23 AM
Bronze Member

I have a jewell trigger on my 700, and a new Savage 300 WSM with the Accutrigger.

There is not much difference, although to a precision target shooter, being able to adjust down to ounces rather than 1.5 lbs might be an improvement.

For me, I can't really tell the difference, except the Savage is at 2.5 lbs, and the Jewell at 2.0
Old 07-10-2004, 02:55 PM
Gold Member

Gonna add a little technical advice here to add to all the other good stuff everybody has said.
Jewel vs the Accutrigger. Might feel the same to most, but there is a big difference. Not putting down the Accutrigger (AT) but it is made out of cheaper material than the Jewel and has more parts and will not last as long. The difference will be in the consistency of trigger pull from shot to shot.
Not that either is bad but overall the Jewel does have the edge. For competition I would replace the AT and use a SharpShooter anyway.
Both, if properly built, will put you in the winner's circle if you do your part.
Old 07-10-2004, 03:23 PM
Gold Member

the latest bechrest record was done by a savage
the longest groundhog kill also by savage
Rakkasan

U.S. Army Sniper
"Opening Minds Worldwide"

Old 07-10-2004, 05:09 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

If you want to use the rifle as an out of the box gun and do NOTHING to it, get a savage. If you want to upgrade in the future with various parts and peices or have a custom built around the action later, get the 700.

700's also have a VERY long history and a tract record that speaks for its self. The savage is doing great, but long history holds a lot of stock IMO.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.