Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Reload belted magnum cases 20 times now.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2002, 07:37 AM
Silver Member

Re: Reload belted magnum cases 20 times now.

Brent,
The most common problem with reloading belted magnums is when people adjust their resizing die down against the shell holder. This pushes the shoulder back and headspaces on the belt. This will split cases and shorten case life for sure. I have talked to many shooters that thought doing this would make their cartridge smaller so that they would chamber better. (They've found out that it doesn't work). Try this test using just "one" case: Reload a new case, fire it, reload it, and measure the area "just above" the belt. Then repeat the process again and again until the case won't chamber. You will find that every time that you measure the case, it has increased in diameter, in the web area, until it won't chamber. The reason that a conventional resizing die can't properly resize belted cases is this: In order to resize any given area on any case, you must press the die "slightly" below that area. Because when the case is withdrawn, it "springs back" a little bit. As long as a conventional resizing die has to stop at the belt .... it will never be able to fully reduce the case diameter "just above" the belt. Take a look at my web site www.larrywillis.com where you can see the article that I wrote for Precision Shooting on this subject. I've spent a year researching this problem and designing a resizing die that would solve this problem with reloading belted magnums. My next step is to post a long list of product endorsements that I've been collecting to my web site.
Old 04-18-2002, 01:25 PM
Silver Member

Larry, I am on my 5th reloading of several 300 weatherby brass that have been max loads eveyone. I have noticed no signs of stress or weakness. I have inspected the inside of every shell with a sharp pick and a flashlight with every reloading. No split necks, no ring just above the belt. Each firing I have full length re-sized this brass. I would like to try for 100 reloadings of this brass! Will look at your article and am interested in your die. Thanks , littletoes.
Old 04-18-2002, 02:11 PM
Silver Member

Littletoes,
Wow ... with a name like that you've got to be good. Measure your fired cases "just above" the belt. Compare the diameter in this area to a new unfired cartridge. I have not seen a belted magnum case that didn't expand in this area after each firing. Eventually it will become your "exact" chamber size. When that happens, conventional resizing dies can not restore the diameter in this area. Five reloadings with one case is extremely rare. Be sure to track one particular case to be sure that you know how many times it is fired.
After 20 firings my cases look great ... but I'll toss them at that point because the necks are getting a bit work hardened. Uniform neck tension is important for accuracy. There is no visible sign of weakness or expansion "just above" the belt ... it must be measured. The sharp pick test is a very good one. If you are headspacing properly on the shoulder, you should not find a problem within the first 20 firings but it's a good practice to check. Split cases are usually caused by not headspacing on the shoulder and/or not cleaning all of the resizing lube off your cases. Read the magazine article on my website and you will see what most reloaders of belted magnums have found.
Old 07-07-2002, 08:22 AM
Silver Member

the biggest problem is the primer pocket expands.not to bad win w-w cases but real bad with r-p,thanks,keith
Old 07-08-2002, 05:06 AM
Silver Member

Keith,

Lose primer pockets are a sign that your loads are too hot or your brass is too soft. Remember, that some chambers can hike pressure with loads that would be mild in others. You can resolve this by using a slower powder or reducing your load. Primer pockets should enlarge gradualy, not all at once. It's pretty easy to get 15 - 20 reloads from your cases with Maximum loads.

Larry