Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Redding die problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2004, 06:12 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Redding die problem

Nighthawk
Theses loads aren't by any chance compressing the powder are they? Sometimes when the loads are extremly compressed the powder will actually push the bullet back out of the case. Had this problem with H1000 in a 300 win mag, couldn't get consistent OAL to save my butt.
Chris
Old 05-04-2004, 07:51 PM
Silver Member

COBrad, I thought that the die touched the bullet at the tip because when I used to load the J40's some of the tips looked as though they were "squashed" a little bit like they were hit in the inside of the die.

Winmagman, the load I was using was 88.6 grains of VV N170 with the 300 gr MK with a supposed OAL of 3.9." This does not seem to be a compressed load.
Old 05-28-2004, 11:03 PM
Silver Member

Got a new question for ya. If you were going to make dies for yourself, what would the best place for the die to contact the bullet? Tip, ogive, etc?
Old 05-28-2004, 11:56 PM
Gold Member

Nighthawk,
Another possible reason for your original problem maybe overenthusiasm/inconsistency on your bullet seating downstroke on your press.
I had a similar problem once and eventually found this to be the cause.
It was rectified by concentrating on pulling slowly through the 'work' part of the bullet seating and then allowing the press lever to only lightly (and consistently) reach its end-stop (rather than forcing it home).
I reckon that my original firm push at the end of mechanical movement must have been introducing some flex/stretch somewhere in the setup that introduced a degree of OAL inconsistency (I always measure my OAL to the ogive with a comparator).
Hope that may be of help!
Old 05-29-2004, 02:59 PM
Silver Member

Thanks, I have always wondered about that myself. I was loading last night for the .300 Win Mag and was thinking of that, but didn't really occur to me because I always just figured that using the press was using the press.