Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Recoil Pad Ratings?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2004, 04:45 PM
Writers Guild

Re: Recoil Pad Ratings?

LOP is established so that with the most common firing position that rifle will see, eye relief on the scope is perfect and you can comfortably control the rifle during recoil.

The LOP is not fixed in stone. My rifles I hunt with have a slightly shorter length because I will be wearing more clothes and possibly having a backpack strap in between. Also, the rifle is shot offhand or in a more upright position so LOP can be shorter.

Rifles I shoot with high mag scopes and low recoil will also have another LOP because of the reduced eye relief AND lower recoil. Rifles I shoot prone have longer LOP, simply because that's how the rifle sits.

I want my rifle to allow me to get a full view in my scope when shouldered. That length also ensures that the scope/thumb does not hit me during recoil. Heavy recoilers will need more LOP in general.

Are you uncomfortable when you shoulder the rifle? Do you need to adjust your eye back and forth to get a good sight picture? Do you get tired holding the rifle quickly? Do you get scope rash? Are you shooting a heavy kicker? Need to wear heavier clothing?

All of these things affect the final LOP I put on my rifles. That length of pull is usually finalized after firing the gun.

Jerry
Old 12-06-2004, 05:36 PM
Silver Member

Jerry, I think you missed my question.

I understand that lets say for example that the LOP of my shotgun I use in the winter for deer season has a shorter LOP than my rifle I use during the summer for other activities.

I get that when your wearing bulky clothing that it causes a LOP gauge to read shorter than if you take measurement with only a tee-shirt on.

I also understand that this measurement is approximate a good starting point for someone trying to get their firearm to fit them properly.

My question was how do you measure for length of pull for the prone position, bench shooting, and others ect.?

If you use a length of pull gauge to measure a person for LOP the only way to get different readings is to either put cloths on or take them off thus allowing the gauge to read a different length.

I was always told that you put finger in hole of gauge and bend arm at elbow causing the slide to slide up the gauge and thus giving you your length of pull.

Is there some other way to do it to get a different reading for different shooting styles? Thanks for the info.
Old 12-22-2004, 01:27 PM

I us the Pacmayr Decelerator pads on nearly every firearm
I own. I don't put different pads on my auto shotguns, they
are easy already.
Old 12-26-2004, 10:05 AM
Bronze Member

I have some "kickers", inkluding 460wby, 338RUM, 416 Taylor and so on. I dont like muzzlebrakes so I dont have that on any of my rifles.
But I have reduced a lot of pain by installing Pachmayr "Triple Mag"-pads on them. I have had "Decelarators" on them but have changed to the "Triple Mag". That is the softest recoilpad that I know about. And they are 1,5" thick, too.
Try them out, and you are in for a pleasent surprise!
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx