Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

RCBS going Chinese?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2009, 05:18 PM
Bronze Member

Re: RCBS going Chinese?

Yes, some of the blame is due to corporate greed. No one will or should have to work for a couple of bucks a day in this country the way they do in others. Correct me if I'm wrong, but a lot of the jobs you listed fall under the SEIU label. These jobs obviously can't be shipped overseas, just like some other very big union corporations, YRC, UPS, ABF, etc. Although you could write a volume on why the auto industry collapsed like a shot duck, the unions played no small part. Don't believe me? Do a google search for the subject. GM laid off 1600 employees a while back, none were union. They get pampered; I have friends in various union jobs and they'll tell you that.
FYI, teachers in my school district are doing better than ok. They have a good pension and I have a list of all their salaries.
Unions have ran their course and are no longer part of the solution, but part of the problem.

I'm guessing the answer is no, but does anyone know if any parts of RCBS is unionized?

Last edited by dWeller; 12-25-2009 at 11:50 PM.
Old 12-25-2009, 07:35 PM
Platinum Member

DWeller. I agree for the most part with "why the auto industry collapsed like a shot duck, the unions played no small part". It's been published before that the average American Auto has $1500.00 of additional sticker price just to cover Union pension plans etc which Foriegn Auto manufactures haven't accumulated over many years of bloted pensions etc. So no problem with what your saying there...I think it's ridiculous that a friend I know makes $31.00 an hour for GM to pull parts off the shelve, put them on a pallet so local dealerships can pick them up each day. Not to mention the outstanding pension and medical benefits he gets. Now that same job out in town non-union pays half that, no pension and a so so medical plan that cost the employee dearly. I think what unions like United Auto Workers have done is bit the hand that feeds them and are now starting to pay the price...too bad for them=Greed. On the otherhand as much as I don't like what the UAW has done, I think there's alot of blame for outsourcing to go around...not just the unions...that's all. Hope you had a good Christmas.
Old 12-25-2009, 09:20 PM
Silver Member

I would have guessed that the percentage of union workforce was quite a bit higher.
Old 12-25-2009, 11:53 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas1 View Post
Hope you had a good Christmas.
Thanks, I hope you did the same.
Old 12-26-2009, 01:47 PM
Gold Member

back to RCBS, i don't use them anymore because of poor quality. The sizing dies are no longer chamfered (sp?) , the threads are very poorly doneon die body and adjustment rods, the lock nuts are not true (lapped) and I have to use a lead pellet under the cheesy set screw to maintain a tight grip. i use Hornady mostly now, or make my own.
Old 12-26-2009, 03:33 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTBULLET View Post
back to RCBS, i don't use them anymore because of poor quality. The sizing dies are no longer chamfered (sp?) , the threads are very poorly doneon die body and adjustment rods, the lock nuts are not true (lapped) and I have to use a lead pellet under the cheesy set screw to maintain a tight grip. i use Hornady mostly now, or make my own.
I concur. There are some quality issues that I have noticed as well. Notably, the lock nuts, and that stupid brass set screw. I like Hornady dies as well, and especially their lock nut system. RCBS used to do that as I have some of their dies from the 60's and 70's.
I do know that when ATK took over, the quality control seemed to fade away. Shame.
Old 12-26-2009, 03:35 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dWeller View Post
Yes, some of the blame is due to corporate greed. No one will or should have to work for a couple of bucks a day in this country the way they do in others. Correct me if I'm wrong, but a lot of the jobs you listed fall under the SEIU label. These jobs obviously can't be shipped overseas, just like some other very big union corporations, YRC, UPS, ABF, etc. Although you could write a volume on why the auto industry collapsed like a shot duck, the unions played no small part. Don't believe me? Do a google search for the subject. GM laid off 1600 employees a while back, none were union. They get pampered; I have friends in various union jobs and they'll tell you that.
FYI, teachers in my school district are doing better than ok. They have a good pension and I have a list of all their salaries.
Unions have ran their course and are no longer part of the solution, but part of the problem.

I'm guessing the answer is no, but does anyone know if any parts of RCBS is unionized?
I can find out from a contact at RCBS, that is if he already didn't quit! LOL!