Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

rcbs electronic powder trickler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2003, 04:45 AM

rcbs electronic powder trickler

anybody have one?

what do you think of then?

are they worth the money?
Old 05-24-2003, 12:51 PM
Platinum Member

Re: rcbs electronic powder trickler

I have one... I love it too. I'll never go back to the beam either. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] I still use the beam, but for short jobs when I don't have the twenty minutes to warm up the scale, which ain't too often. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-24-2003, 05:56 PM
Platinum Member

I have one and also the electronic dispenser, agee with Brent - too impatient to wait for the damn scale to warm-up or whatever (if a mosquito farts the scale goes goofy - fussy damn thing). I usually check about every 50th on a 30 year old 10-10, all the fancy electronic stuff sits on a shelf.
When it is warmed-up the electronic stuff works very well - throw a charge a grain or so short, put it on the scale and push a button. About the time you have seated a bullet the next charge should be ready.
Old 05-24-2003, 07:59 PM
Platinum Member

Chad, did you mean the trickler or the dispensor? I thought you meant the dispensor, that's what I have. My dad has a trickler for his, but after using it myself, it's not exactly what I thought it was going to be... the dispensor is worht the cash to me, and much better than the trickler... which is now a discontinued item.

Funny thing Ian, the RCBS PPro scale I got for my dad, it doesn't ever seem to need calibration, wt. doesn't wander upward when warming up or nothing... mine needs it every single time. I always calibrate his when I use it anyway, just in the habbit I guess.

Like Ian, I set my Redding dispensor to drop about a grain less than the dispensor is set to trickle up to, pour it in the pan and hit dispense. When I'm done seating a bullet it's done too.

The dispensor dumps a little slow for me to use it to dispense the whole charge wt, if you're using it on cases smaller than 308win it should work better that way. Even with the 308win using stick powder's too slow for my rate of loading. Get up to the 416wby and HAHAHA! Now way I'm waitin on it for that one.... ever. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

If you wanted to size a case and prep it completely while dispensing the whole load on the RCBS, well, it would work fine that way. I just do it differently though. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

They really do work nice, I recommend them.
Old 06-03-2003, 08:34 PM

I recently purchased the Lyman 1200, I have loaded and shot a couple hundred rds. So far the velocity is at most 25-40 FPS different through a chronograph. I checked 150 charges on a balance scale, they were right on. I would recomend one of them to anyone. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-04-2003, 12:52 AM
Platinum Member

Da Grizz,

What powder are you using in it?

I wonder how fast it'll dump 120gr of RL25 is why.

No calibration needed with it when changing powders I hear?

My buddy was going to get one but backed out when he lost his job.
Old 06-04-2003, 10:59 AM
Silver Member

I know my opinion is different on powder dispensers but I will give it anyway. Somethings you do first class and others can be done cheaper. Knowing what I know now, I think a high dollar unit is not needed. I do agree a digital unit is needed but no more than that. I always arrange for slightly MORE powder to drop and pinch out (and let some fall back in) to hit my no exactly and I weight EVERY charge. Going under and trickling whether automatic or manual is too slow.

I have a Bruno and it is very accurate but I still go over and pinch out.
[Reaching for wallet] You wouldn't happen to be a betting man would you?
Impossible means not done YET!