Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Rangefinder review

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2007, 11:30 AM
SPONSOR

Rangefinder review

Recently I spent a lot of time testing different laser rangfinders in order to try and make an educated purchase. I tested the Bushnell 1500ARC, Swaroski Laser Guide, Leica Geovid 10x42 and Leica 1200 CRF.

The Bushnell was still a Bushnell no matter how hard I tried to make it something better. Big, bulky, relatively quick readings, but the glass is still Bushnell and not anything like the Leica or the Swarovski.

The Swarovski came highly recommended. Several regulars at this site use it and like it. I tried it and liked it the least of all the range finders. It's heavy, the read out is all but impossible to read in bright day light, and it's slower than the Leica or the Bushnell with it's readings. Plus the target dot is friggen huge and not very compatible to small targets at long range.

The Leica Geovid was lighter than I expected. The glass is very good, but it's not as bright at dawn and dusk as their Ultravids. I imgaine that will eventually be improved, but until then I'll hold out. It would really tick me off to spend that kind of money and have them come out with the "new and improved" version in the next year or two. They are so close on this one it's not funny. If they get the optics just as clear and bright as their Ultravid, move the rangefinder button to the right side, and make sure the binocular can be mounted on a tripod it will be the cat's meow of range finders.

The Leica 1200 CRF was light, small enough to fit in a shirt pocket. It is lightening quick with it's yardage read outs. The read out is easy to read and the target dot is small enough to be useful on smaller targets like prairie dogs and such. The only real problem is holding it still. It's so light that one needs to brace one's arms on something when taking long range readings. I ended up buying the 1200 CRF and I'm very happy with it. So far the longest reading I have gotten was just over 1300 yards. Readings from 700 yards and under come up very fast. Over 700 yards I sometimes had to hit the button a time or two, but it's still pretty darn consistant and fast. Now if they would just come up with an angle compensation feature like the Leupold and Bushnell and a way to mount it on a tripod it would be darn near perfect.
Old 04-02-2007, 12:12 PM
Gold Member

Re: Rangefinder review

How do you get an job testing range finder ?

Do they need an another porduct tester?

Redbone

Kill more Coyotes

Feed The Buzzards
Old 04-02-2007, 12:17 PM
SPONSOR

Redbone, it t'weren't a job. It was the result of my search for a new rangefinder. As far as testing went it's great to have a lot of generous friends that are connected. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I am very happy with my final purchase. I expect the next time around I'll get the Geovids if they make a few improvements. Well that is, unless Swarovski comes up with a great bino/rangefinder combo. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 04-10-2007, 08:41 PM
Bronze Member

Guys, Has anyone tested a Newcon LRB 4000 CI. They show it at 4000 meters on reflective targets. and about 2000 on soft (animals). We have been using the Lieca Rf1200 for about 6 yrs with pretty good results. If you are looking across a canyon it works well to about 1000 yds, sometimes farther. We find across flat ground that you can get a false reading from any rolling hills or ridges. We have tested the Bushell 800 yard, the Newcon 1500 yd and several optic models usintg the WILD unit as a standard, as we have proved it on many know distance ranges to about 5000 meters with +- 6 yds or so. Well in a comparason we have tested the several other units that have a computer interface, and had not found any that read farther than the RF1200. If any one has any input on the Newcon 4000 CI I would REALLY be thankful for your input.
Thanks,
Old 04-17-2007, 08:50 PM

Hello Big Sky from the western half of MT!

I have the standard Bushnell Elite 1500 (non-ARC). I can get relatively easy handheld readings to 1000 yards on bedded elk in hunting conditions. If I thread it on a tripod mount I can get some longer readings on soft targets, although not as quickly. The glass is not as good as the Leica I have seen, but definitely good enough to know what I am targeting. I evaluate trophies through the binos and spotter, then use the Elite to range the target I have already determined worthy. Did you find the resolution of the Bushnell to be hindering your ability to determine targets? I haven't done much varmint hunting, and haven't evaluated the Elite's performance in that arena. Is the additional resolution of the Leica useful in those situations? I am interested in expanding my shooting to include varmints and would consider the upgrade if it was worth it. Thanks and Good Shooting.
Old 04-18-2007, 06:15 PM
Bronze Member

I have a Leica 800 I bought over 6 years ago. I love it. Great optics and never had a problem ranging. Never had a reason to upgrade to the 1200, but I was thinking about a pair of geovids. Glad I didn't buy them after hearing what you said. I thought the ultravids were binos and not a rangefinder.
Old 04-19-2007, 04:02 PM
Platinum Member

Troy,
Good stuff, but - you need to experience a Vector. The Swaro and Geovid would not come out of their cases...