Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Rangefinder Field Test: Swarovski 8x30 Laser Guide Vs. Leica CRF 1600 Rangemaster

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2011, 11:46 AM
Gold Member

Re: Rangefinder Field Test: Swarovski 8x30 Laser Guide Vs. Leica CRF 1600 Rangemaste

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorwath View Post
Thanks Jeff.
Yeah, I had my doubts about this turning out good for me. My jaw about dropped when I got two repetitive readings @ 1797 yards on those spruce trees.
Hey Ya'll,
I might be the only dude in the world that's got one of the GOOD Leica CRF 1600 Rangemasters
that has never (to my knowledge) had the barometric pressure, angle, MOA/MIL info. activated in the unit.

Here is the $64,000 question! Is it possible that when my 'SUPPER UNIT' goes into that progranning mode to give me those other items it may revert to the level of those other less quality units. With my zeiss-victory-diavari-4-16x50-t-fl _ Z-800 I don't click up to shoot I have run the Zeiss Bal. Prog and made my card up so I just need LOS distance and do a little KY windage for the COS stuff - Adj. my power level to the card choice and shoot that yd + hair. So since I don't need the angle, should I go there and gamble....... Anyone know or is smart enough about the internal programming on these toys to make a informed GUESS. I would appreciate it tremendously. I really got the LOS stuff dicked and don't want to screw it up.
Thanks
Old 08-21-2011, 12:23 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Rangefinder Field Test: Swarovski 8x30 Laser Guide Vs. Leica CRF 1600 Rangemaste

T3, I would advise you to go do some actual field testing and see what is "Spot on" at different distances. Write it down and then play with the RF at home to see what lines up with field data best.

"Proof is in the pudding" and it builds confidence.

Jeff
Old 08-21-2011, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3-OleMan View Post
Hey Ya'll,
I might be the only dude in the world that's got one of the GOOD Leica CRF 1600 Rangemasters
that has never (to my knowledge) had the barometric pressure, angle, MOA/MIL info. activated in the unit.

Etc.

You from greater Spartenburg? I've got a ton of family down there...

Anyway, you bring up a good point.

My issues with the Leica was that it would range tree lines out to 1200 yards (I used a TVS-5 Gen 3 scope to watch the beam strikes at night...) Interestingly, this was when it was completely dark.

I then took I to the range and there are light/blue-gray high tension towers at 450 and 800 yards... and it would range the 450 unit, but not the 800 unit. That was went I knew it had to go back.

A little more reseach, and I found out they have problems... and that the only really rock solid unit is the Swarovski.

So I picked up that unit and the Bushnell 1600 Elite ARC...

I never thought to disable the extra functionality on the Leica.

I have noticed that while none of the manuals for any of the LRFs I've been playing with are outstanding technical and detailed, the Bushnell one specifically indicates limitations that you need to be aware of. Such as atmospheric issues, object color, daytime brightness, etc.

I think that both the Lieca and the Bushnell indicate issues where the ballastic programs are only usable to specific distances. (...they don't work past so many yards.)

Who knows what the software would report if turned on? You should do so and let us know if something turns up...

Being of German decent, I was a little put out when a Chinese device worked generally better than two germanic units.

Gerhard

Last edited by gbmaryland; 08-21-2011 at 02:45 PM.
Old 08-21-2011, 02:14 PM
SPONSOR

Had the Swaro and the 1600 out yesterday, both ranged to 1700+ yards.
Faster readings from the Leica-Both were impressive
Old 08-21-2011, 02:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3-OleMan View Post
Hey Ya'll,
Here is the $64,000 question! Is it possible that when my 'SUPPER UNIT' goes into that progranning mode to give me those other items it may revert to the level of those other less quality units.

I really ... don't want to screw it up.
Thanks
I used the temperature, station pressure, and angle of inclination features on my 'good' unit repetitively before taking it out and ranging a spruce tree twice at 1798 yards. I wouldn't worry about it.

I didn't design or program these units, but I'm confident the range feature would have nothing to do with these other functions. If the computer processing chip fails, all features will probably all fail at once. But other than that, I wouldn't worry about it. You could call Leica and attempt to talk to one of their research and development staff if you're losing sleep over it. I'd use that sucker for all it's worth...
Old 08-21-2011, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
Had the Swaro and the 1600 out yesterday, both ranged to 1700+ yards.
Faster readings from the Leica-Both were impressive
The thing that I have an issue with the Swarovski is that I'm aiming at targets that are ~2000 yards away, and the aiming reticle clearly is NOT close any of the nearer targets. However, it still nails things that are ~450 yards away... refusing the nail the ~1800+ target I'm trying to get. (Which is a LARGE white church steeple.)

Can anyone speak to that aspect of the unit. Seriously, it's NICE and works, but that was a little annoying.

...especially given that you can get a cheap(er) Bushnell 1600 ARC Elite Monocular that has a mode to tell it to ignore closer targets.

Now, in so far as having the Leica AND the Swarovski... at that point I'd probably get the low end Vectronix for another $1000.00.

Last edited by gbmaryland; 08-21-2011 at 08:41 PM.
Old 08-21-2011, 06:39 PM
SPONSOR

I just recently bought the Leica.
Wanted to do some comparing of the two, to decide which one I am going to keep.