Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Rangefinder Field Test: Swarovski 8x30 Laser Guide Vs. Leica CRF 1600 Rangemaster

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2011, 12:11 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Rangefinder Field Test: Swarovski 8x30 Laser Guide Vs. Leica CRF 1600 Rangemaste

Thanks Jeff.
Yeah, I had my doubts about this turning out good for me. My jaw about dropped when I got two repetitive readings @ 1797 yards on those spruce trees.
Old 07-24-2011, 12:45 AM
Gold Member

Re: Rangefinder Field Test: Swarovski 8x30 Laser Guide Vs. Leica CRF 1600 Rangemaste

Congrats Paul. You worked it through and the reward is great. Give us the skinney on some of them badboys you bust this winter up there. Glad you didn't quit.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorwath View Post
Thanks Jeff.
Yeah, I had my doubts about this turning out good for me. My jaw about dropped when I got two repetitive readings @ 1797 yards on those spruce trees.
I can say I was bothered when I called them up and they said there was nothing wrong with their units, but suggested that I see if the store will let me take a bunch of them outside and range distant targets (if there are any that far away).
Old 07-24-2011, 09:39 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thanks Jeff.
Well, it looks as it is doing exactly what you wanted it to do and that is awesome. This was a good thread, I feel we have proven that there are good and bad ones for sure. The Swaro's had some of the same issues and also the freezing problem that required R & R of the battery. Out of the 5 I owned one was definatly better that the rest. But, Swaro's problem was not nearly as prevalent as the Leica 1600. Paul, I feel you own a top notch Swaro that is better than any I have owned. I have a CRF1200 that is a great unit and my son just bought a used one off this site that is equal to it. I remember your last Leica 1200 did not cut the mustard either. My point is, for years on here we have all reported our experiences testing RF's. Bottom line is, try before you buy, or buy with a reputable dealer, and test, test, test.

For what it's worth, anyone considering buying a Vectronix PLRF10. I field tested 5 units side by side and took notes logged to their Serial number. They all were equal and ranged to 2990+ yards in full light. Not one would give me 3000 yds though. I have a feeling their price might be related to the laser quality and maybe some other components used. The result is high quality and all units are equal.

Jeff
Old 07-26-2011, 03:11 PM
Silver Member

This thread was utterly awesome. I am hopefully going to buy a Leica soon and I appreciate you guys detailing your experiences.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:56 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbmaryland View Post
I can say I was bothered when I called them up and they said there was nothing wrong with their units, but suggested that I see if the store will let me take a bunch of them outside and range distant targets (if there are any that far away).
I understand where you're coming from. Whoever answers the phone for Leica is obviously delivering 'the company line'. There's no way that Leica's technicians can possibly be unaware of the fact that the performance of their CRF 1600 units is inconsistent and variable. Their final QA/QC testing needs to include more than - does the unit turn on and range a distance.

Like I said, there was about a 400 yard difference in the ranging capability of the two units I tested. The first one didn't measure up for a LRF advertised as a 1600 yard unit. The second one does.

Test drive first. Then purchase.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:11 AM

Quote:
I understand where you're coming from. Whoever answers the phone for Leica is obviously delivering 'the company line'. There's no way that Leica's technicians can possibly be unaware of the fact that the performance of their CRF 1600 units is inconsistent and variable. Their final QA/QC testing needs to include more than - does the unit turn on and range a distance.

Like I said, there was about a 400 yard difference in the ranging capability of the two units I tested. The first one didn't measure up for a LRF advertised as a 1600 yard unit. The second one does.

Test drive first. Then purchase.
Just to add to this... this is what I've played with so far:

1) The Bushnell Fusion ARC Binocs (huge, heavy, and range great, optics sorta suck)

2) The Bushnell Elite ARC 1600 (same size as the Swaroski, ranges well, lots of options [target vs brush], angle, etc. Best reading on an NON-HAZY day, 1801 yards. Very senstive to ranging from a bright surface area (think sunny day with white stone roof, white sandy area, or newer white concrete surface). Lifetime warranty on Elite labeled products. Optics OK, much better than the Fusion Binocs.)

3) Swaroski Laser Guide (the "gold" standard. No extra options (like the two bushnells or the Leica). Best range was 1836 yards. DOES NOT HANDLE RANGING THROUGH CLOSER TARGETS WELL [e.x. ranging through two trees with the LRF reticle anywhere near the trees gives you range to the trees, not the distant object behind them]. Senstive to ranging from a bright surface area (think sunny day with white stone roof, white sandy area, or newer white concrete surface). Lifetime recalibration from Swarovski(!). Optics are excellent.)

4) Leica CRF 1600 ("Great when it works." Small laser apperture; able to range in between distant objects, as opposed to having a bush mode. Gives you usable information, such as barometric pressure, angle, MOA/MIL info. Need to buy an adapter to use it with a tripod. Optics are excellent. Unfortunately, you need to test the unit prior to taking it home, and the distance must be over 900 yards to know that you likely have a good one. Even then, as with the one I got, it would report a range of 1200+ yards, but google earth would show it was wrong... If you can find a reliable vendor that will pretest for you... do that.)

Last edited by gbmaryland; 08-21-2011 at 10:14 AM.