Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Rangefinder Field Test: Swarovski 8x30 Laser Guide Vs. Leica CRF 1600 Rangemaster

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2011, 12:35 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Rangefinder Field Test: Swarovski 8x30 Laser Guide Vs. Leica CRF 1600 Rangemaste

Jeff,

You may be right about my Swaro being better than their average unit. I can almost always range the hillside next to the game animals where I hunt. It's a very rare occasion when I might need to range an animal on open flat lands.

I purchased my CRF 1600 from Doug at Camera Land, and he says I can return it if it doesn't perform to my expectations, I haven't filled out the warranty form, and it's in good shape. So I believe I'll package it up and return this unit for a refund. I may be out some shipping costs.

From what I've read and researched on this Forum prior to purchasing, I think most Leica CRF 1600s perform more like the one you just tested. And that ranging performance would have been acceptable for my uses. Perhaps it was just my luck of the draw...

Anyhow, thanks again for taking the time to help me sort out the relative performance of my unit.

Paul
Old 06-21-2011, 11:13 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Rangefinder Field Test: Swarovski 8x30 Laser Guide Vs. Leica CRF 1600 Rangemaste

Paul,

Are you sending the unit back for replacement? or just a total refund?

I got a replacement from Leica within a couple of weeks and the 2nd one seems to work as it should.

I agree with Jeff that some units are simply better than others, and I believe I got a good, possibly better than average 1200 too.

Cottonwoods may not reflect the same as evergreens, but I tried freehand on two different cottonwoods in evening light the other day. a very small and sparsly leaved (partially dead) tree gave +/- 1590 yd readings about 1 of 4 tries. Another large and fully leaved tree gave +/- 1740 yd readings 100% no problem at all, no missed readings.

Old 06-22-2011, 12:14 AM
Platinum Member

I returned my unit for refund. I purchased it from CameraLand in NY and returned it to them for a refund.

If I could get a unit that performed like yours, the one Jeff tested, or the one that was tested in this thread Buying Insurance with ..........in Timber ACCURATE RANGE!! then I'd prefer to have the CRF 1600 over the Swaro. CameraLand said they would test my returned unit out to see if it was defective or not, but if they test it only for operational function, it will pass. Everything seemed to work that I tested. It just didn't range as far as many others are reporting their CRF 1600s capable of.

If you returned yours directly to Leica, then I have no doubt that Leica technicians are aware that some of their CRF 1600s substantially outrange others that they sell. They could certainly test some units and return a top notch performer, in replacement. I can't know if it's a quality control problem, or if Leica makes more money by selling the less capable units along with the more capable units. I think they need to start performance testing their units side by side, if they want to perform some true Quality Control / Quality Assurance on their products prior to shipping them for retail sale to the public. Perhaps if I had returned mine to Leica, they would have sent me a unit which they knew ranged another 300 yards farther than the unit I received.

Dunno. If I could get one of the good ones, I'd be happier than with my Swarovski in all ways other than the Swaro does have the notably superior optical quality. But the CRF 1600 is smaller, lighter, easier to see the readings, etc... as I mentioned in my prior post. If I get the opportunity to test a couple CRF 1600s side by side at a retail store, then maybe I'll purchase one sometime in the future. But where I live in Alaska, that type of outside-the-store testing may be difficult to find.

Thanks for sharing the information on your replacement CRF 1600. It just helps reaffirm what has already been reported multiple times. The ranging capabilities of laser rangefinders - units of the same brand and model - are quite variable. Some take your breath away, while others simply disappoint and take your money away. In these situations, one of the best ways to get informed is through a Forum like this one, with Members that are willing to share their own experiences - or even test a unit and report back like Broz did. Very helpful.

Paul

Last edited by phorwath; 06-22-2011 at 12:18 PM.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:22 AM
Bronze Member

PINE TREES??? Great info guys. Anyone have any "testing" for us varmint hunters? I'm very interested in the 1600, and would like to know how it does on something like a groundhog in a flat open green field at 1000 yards. Any feed back is greatly appricated.

Thanks, kd.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:35 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdvarmint View Post
PINE TREES??? Great info guys. Anyone have any "testing" for us varmint hunters? I'm very interested in the 1600, and would like to know how it does on something like a groundhog in a flat open green field at 1000 yards. Any feed back is greatly appricated.

Thanks, kd.
I've gotten prarie dog mounds out to about 800 on a slight upslope. Deer out to a little over 1000. I don't know about whistle pigs in a flat field. We dont have any of those critters here. Just guessing, but I'd think it would have trouble on a ground hog at 1000 in a flat field. Ive been able to get just grass/ground at over 1000, but there was a slight angle too.

Old 07-06-2011, 12:05 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdvarmint View Post
Anyone have any "testing" for us varmint hunters? I'm very interested in the 1600, and would like to know how it does on something like a groundhog in a flat open green field at 1000 yards. Any feed back is greatly appricated.

Thanks, kd.
If you figure out how to range a groundhog at 1000 yds on the level, rather than the surrounding grass, can you share your standard operating procedures? You'd better hope for BIG groundhogs... or a nearby pine tree...
Old 07-06-2011, 02:55 PM
Bronze Member

[QUOTE=phorwath;522589]If you figure out how to range a groundhog at 1000 yds on the level, rather than the surrounding grass, can you share your standard operating procedures? You'd better hope for BIG groundhogs... or a nearby pine tree...[/QUOTE
Don't find many pine trees in open fields. I know what your saying, I'm just asking.