Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

range finder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2012, 01:03 PM

Re: range finder

I think if you clearly defined your priorities, members could tell you more. For example the european models have better glass in general and can range targets when hunting in low light. Beam divergence was mentioned and whether you hunt or target shoot in open areas or in brush makes a difference. The internal ballistic programs in most are too generic to be useful with the exception of the new G7 Br2. Size matters. The Leica is pocketable but hard to hold steady compared to the Zeis which is held more like a binocular and is bigger. Is price a major consideration? Is reliability a concern? My pick for shooting would be the G7 if it does most of what it is supposed to do, but for moderate distances, I sold my Leica and got the Zeiss since the Br2 wasn't available. I kinda wish I bought the Swarovski as I think it would have greater range. The higher end domestic models are more competitive in terms of range, but if you take one in low light (when the big bucks are out) you tend to see a black picture when you can see the target with the euros. I guess there is no do all perfect one out yet. There are compromises with each.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:36 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
Also, I will add you should read and study the size and the effects of a rangefinders "Beam Divergence" before you buy. Don't go into this blind. That is a very important subject.

Jeff
Jeff is right on the money here. Nothing more frustrating than trying to range down through a slot in the timber and have the range finder bounce off stuff half way to the target. Pick a rangefinder that fits your style of hunting.

In my world the smaller the "Beam Divergence" the better within my budget.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 01-24-2012, 09:59 PM
Platinum Member

THAT is why the lieca 1600 is best bang for $..5 x2.5 mrad beam, 8 oz. 1/2 the weight and 1/2 cost of g7 br2, and I SHOOT mil so the g7 doesnt work for me. PLRF 05 is in my future plans
Old 02-06-2012, 11:54 AM

I will have to disagree with the post above about Leica's Warrenty Department. I had a early 1200 scan I carried for years hunting and it took a lot abuse. It had gotten some moisture in the lenses and I tried to open it and screwed it up. I told them I did and would pay to have it fixed and in a few days a brand new 1200 pocket size one came no charge. It don't get any better than that.
Old 02-10-2012, 03:22 PM

Personally I like the Lieca.

They are very clear and spot on accurate.

Another great rangefinder is Gunwerks G7 range finder.
I have heard rave reports from several guys at the range on how well it preforms.
Old 02-11-2012, 11:00 PM
Silver Member

I am in the same boat,

I'm looking at

Leica crf 1600
Swarovski Laser guide
Zeiss PRF

Unfortunalty there isn't anywhere i can go and try them all out to see what one I like the best. The dealer that is giving me the best prices is about a 16 hour drive so that is out.

The swarovski's are $200 more and the zeiss and leica's are the same price.

I think either of the three will have good enough glass for me, but that being said my current Leupold RXII will only do like 720 yards in the best possible conditions handheld.

I do a lot of backpack hunting so the weight and size is a factor but I'd rather be packing around a 13 ounce swarovski for 10 years then a leica for 3 years because it crapped out on me. Long service life is most important.

All the reports of guys getting defunct leica's really makes me hesitant to buy one. I detest sending things back for repair.

I have Zeiss Victory binoculars, Zeiss Diascopes spotter and a Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20x50 scope......of those three the binoculars and the spotter have both been back for warranty. Delamination of the occular lenses on the bino's and the internal lenses on the diascope came loose and started rattling around inside the body.....not impressed. However they are getting fixed and with Zeiss lifetime warranty on their optics I'm covered forever.

I think if Leica didn't have the DOA issue I'd be all over it like a fat kid on a smartie.
It makes me question the longevity of their product.

If anyone can offer some insight, it would be appreciated.