Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

range finder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2012, 06:27 PM

range finder

I am new to long distance shooting.

I have a Savage 10fp in .308

I would like to get a good range finder and am willing to pay good money for one as opposed to buying lower quality and buying a better one later.

What would you folks reccomend? My goal is to eventually be competent at 1000 yards.

Thanks
Old 01-11-2012, 06:40 PM
Platinum Member

Re: range finder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanders View Post
I am new to long distance shooting.

I have a Savage 10fp in .308

I would like to get a good range finder and am willing to pay good money for one as opposed to buying lower quality and buying a better one later.

What would you folks reccomend? My goal is to eventually be competent at 1000 yards.

Thanks
Leica 1600 CRF

Vectronix Terripin

Vectronix PLRF10

Do some searching on this forum. There is more info in threads on here than you will be able to read in a few nights.

Jeff
Old 01-11-2012, 06:46 PM

I sold my leica and currently have a Zeiss. Both work well but there are differences. The glass is good enough for both to identify hunting targets in low light, not much difference. The Zeiss is easier to hold steady but bigger to carry. The current Zeiss PRF has longer ranging than the old 900 series Leica but probably not as good as the newest 1500 model, although I have not done a comparison to the 1500 series. The Zeiss PRF will range a light colored cow at 900 but a brown one only to about 600. It will range reflective targets to 1000. If you are hunting at lets say 1000 yards, do not get the Zeiss. Mine does not have the range. My estimation is that the new Lieca 1500 will range farther but I have had to return 2 Leicas for failing to work so I am not enamored with their reliablity. My dealer also indicates that Leica is not easy to work with in terms of warranty. If you need to range farther than 6-900 yards that my Zeiss works on soft targets consider the The Leica and hope it doesn't stop working, get a Swarovski? or consider the new g7 br2. If it does what its advertized to do it will be the best out there for around 1500 bucks. Not been out long and not many good reviews yet, but it also has ballistic table function that works compared to the one in the Leica or Zeiss which is not usable for real accuracy. I did not get the BR2 becuse it was not released prior to my hunting season but if it does what its advertized to do, that's what I will get next. Good luck.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:52 PM
Platinum Member

Also, I will add you should read and study the size and the effects of a rangefinders "Beam Divergence" before you buy. Don't go into this blind. That is a very important subject.

Jeff
Old 01-11-2012, 09:05 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
Also, I will add you should read and study the size and the effects of a rangefinders "Beam Divergence" before you buy. Don't go into this blind. That is a very important subject.

Jeff
Jeff,

I'm thinkin' that most here aren't catching on to the importance of beam divergence.

Most seem more enthused by ranging the mountain way over there than accurately ranging a small furry target on a flat snow/stubble covered field. Or even being able to accurately range a big game animal back in the trees a bit.

I've followed your posts and after attempting to range deer in mid body deep CRP grass plus an elk with one single darned tree in beam pattern, it was easy to catch on that if you can't range a yote in stubble or a deer in sage brush at a decent distance you're gonna have a problem at moderate distances also.

The Leica 1200 was the best out there 4 or 5 years ago but things have changed.

The Leica 1600 is probably the best in its class but that class is a couple of rungs down from when one wants to consistently practice to a mile.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:46 PM
Platinum Member

Roy, you are spot on my friend. I ranged a badger Saturday in a flat field. The PLRF10 said 632 yards. That badger was less than 1/2 moa tall. Man .... a .338 Lapua with a 300 Berger works very well on Badgers. But the badger didnt like it one bit.

Jeff ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 01-11-2012, 11:44 PM

Thank you guys for the input. I am in the process of searching posts in the forum. I will be sure to investigate more on beam divergence.