Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

A question of bipods....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2012, 12:18 AM
Platinum Member

Re: A question of bipods....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
Surface texture/hardness can definitely effect accuracy with a bipod. I was at a match a couple of years ago. My regular range has smooth wood benches. My rifle was shooting great. Went to the match at another range with heavy weave base carpeting in the bench. My impact points were off by inches at 200 yards. I put a piece of plexiglass under the bipod legs and my rifle's performance returned. The bumpy weave was bumping the legs during recoil. Soft surfaces do not seem to cause this problem. I use a Harris.
I'll have to experiment a bit. Our range has both wood and cast concrete benches for shooting. I usually use the concrete but I'll have to try the wood.

My Harris' all have the 2nd axis which I like. If the surface is uneven or unlevel, you can angle the cant out of the rifle easily.

me thinks Harris' patent ran out. There seems to be a proliferation of Harris look alike's now.... Back in the day, it was Harris or zip.
Old 02-10-2012, 04:44 PM
Bronze Member

The proper way to use a standard bipod (not a bench rest monstrosity .... which they shoot free recoil) is to load the bipod. It allows for a faster follow up shot and keeps you "into the bipod" for better follow through. If you aren't loading your bipod and it is allowed to jump freely, then you aren't following through on your shot.

On concrete, I like to use my Midway pro shooting mat. It has a strap sewn into the mat that allows you to push the bipod feet into the strap and load the bipod. It doesn't bounce at all when I do this. Sandbags in front of the feet works well too.
Old 02-10-2012, 04:52 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornstalker View Post
Lately I have sworn off the bench and benchrests and have gone prone for practice, load development, everything.

Since I have started using the Harris bipods on concrete I have become aware of how much they bounce when the shot is fired. I have still been getting good groups but have to wonder, would I have a different point of impact if rested on a softer surface?

Next questions:

Are Atlas bipods a lot better?

Do they bounce less?
Is your Harris bipod one with notched legs? If so do this little test. Put the legs all the way in. Now push on the legs inward. The notched legs are spring loaded and when all the way down with the right weight rifle will jump. The non-notched leg modles have a friction lock and will help prevent this. I have only had this be an issue on a few occations. It can be curred, or at least helped a lot if you come up one notch on the legs to get rid of the springing. Or, a friction locked model might be a better choice for that rifle.

Jeff
Old 02-10-2012, 05:23 PM
Silver Member

Muttt, that sounds about like how I do it. I have the cheaper Midway mat without the pockets, but I do use sandbags.

Jeff,
I do use the Harris bipod with the friction locks, non-swivel.

I will try to get out for some field practice soon and pay a lot closer attention to how it reacts on dirt. Also comparing POI's.
Old 02-10-2012, 05:45 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornstalker View Post
Jeff,
I do use the Harris bipod with the friction locks, non-swivel.

I will try to get out for some field practice soon and pay a lot closer attention to how it reacts on dirt. Also comparing POI's.
Ok cool, then I would also suggest looking at form, preload and follow through.

Jeff