Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

A question of bipods....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2012, 09:43 PM
Silver Member

A question of bipods....

I have been shooting off Harris bipods in the field for the better part of my hunting career. Never noticed much of a problem with them before.

Lately I have sworn off the bench and benchrests and have gone prone for practice, load development, everything.

Since I have started using the Harris bipods on concrete I have become aware of how much they bounce when the shot is fired. I have still been getting good groups but have to wonder, would I have a different point of impact if rested on a softer surface?

When I am through hunting predators for the year I'll get out and test this, but thought someone here may have already done it.

Next questions:

Are Atlas bipods a lot better?

Do they bounce less?
Old 02-07-2012, 10:06 PM
Platinum Member

Re: A question of bipods....

I don't believe it's the bi-pod. I believe it's muzzle jump in relationship to the rifle itself.

I use Harris' bi-pods on all my rifles but shooting prone, I rest the forestock on a bag or backpack or other suitable rest. I've even used a jacket.

My bi-pod shooting is all bench..... or Lead Sled...
Old 02-07-2012, 10:35 PM
Platinum Member

You tend to get more flip on concrete. Depending on shooting style also, if you suck it in shoulder pocket firmer may get less jump . My light 325wsm jumps bad.The Atlas is a great bipod and I find myself putting more rails on other rifles of mine. I have a QD, that mnts to rail,the SEEKIN SRS, is the rail I like.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:41 PM
Silver Member

I am pretty sure the muzzle flip is amplified by the flex in the pods.

Maybe I am doing something wrong, but I put sandbags in front of the bipods and push my bodyweight forward into the rifle to "load" the bipod.

The "bounce" is noticeably more flip than if I shoot off bags or a pack.

sp6x6,
Thanks for the heads up on the Atlas. Might have to pony up the dough and give them a whirl.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:40 PM
Platinum Member

What I like about the Atlas are the legs are independent. Can have one fore and one back. I have set mine length wise on a log and made a solid rest, with legs opposite.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:14 PM
Platinum Member

Surface texture/hardness can definitely effect accuracy with a bipod. I was at a match a couple of years ago. My regular range has smooth wood benches. My rifle was shooting great. Went to the match at another range with heavy weave base carpeting in the bench. My impact points were off by inches at 200 yards. I put a piece of plexiglass under the bipod legs and my rifle's performance returned. The bumpy weave was bumping the legs during recoil. Soft surfaces do not seem to cause this problem. I use a Harris.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 02-08-2012, 11:50 PM
Silver Member

Personally if my shot placement is good on the first shot I dont really care if it bounces, I need to reload and readjust anyways for a possible 2nd shot. .02$