Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Primer Pocker Reamer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2004, 12:07 AM
Silver Member

Primer Pocker Reamer

I don't cut anything without the aid of a collet to align (ie, no deburr by hand, etc).

I like my Wilson trimmer (recommended by Ken of K&M because his only trims the 50 BMG).

The Wilson site states: "
This is not a primer pocket uniformer, and does not cut the bottom of the primer pocket."

You have to hunt the directories to find that link http://www.lewilson.com/Wilson_Produ...mer_inst_.html
As the Wilson site is living in the 70's (Bush league)

Any recommendations for a "primer pocket uniformer" ?
Comments on the best (and best for the money) case trimmers. No question, the best case trimmer is the Giraud Trimmer - but he has only a very few shell holders (50 BMG, all the major match cartridges). You need to send him a reamer for cartridges he doesn't support.
Old 11-15-2004, 01:45 PM
Gold Member

Re: Primer Pocker Reamer

As a former Benchrest shooter, i used nothing but K&M Services hand held tools to prep my brass(flash hole de-burring,primer pocket uniforming,case neck turning etc.)powering them with my electric screwdriver i achieved excellent results.So much so,that i now benchrest prep all my brass,this gives me upmost confidence in my handloads. My advice would be to do what YOU think gives you the best possible handload
Old 11-15-2004, 06:45 PM
Silver Member

K&M makes the best tools, no question. He makes a trimmer for my 50 BMG. I called him saying I wanted a trimmer and other tools for my very popular hunting cartridges (WSM and RUM) - he doesn't make those - only for benchrest cartridges - he recommended I buy a Wilson trimmer (for trimming anyway) or a benchrest rifle [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img].

Ken doesn't believe in the internet - a big negative in my opinion. I'd gladly build him a nice site if he'd send me a complete set of tools (I didn't even ask)

I talked to John Hills, gen. mgr of L.E. Wilson Inc about his sorry ass Web site. It's not his site, someone put it together 7 years ago. They don't know who and they haven't paid a cent for it. I'm looking into domain names and a new site for him, hopefully for some tools. I also mentioned to John the problem people talked about using his debur tool. He said the trim shell holder is polished, not made with a reamer, and that happens (maybe I'm getting all the facts backwards, but he knows of the problem). He said you could send in the shell holder and they would align (fix) it.

I was asleep when he called, I don't know that much about these tools - but he did say it was a problem and they could fix it. (And one set of parts is made with a reamer and something about a polisher)

Anyone care to guess what he really said or should I embarras myself further and call John back?

[img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 11-15-2004, 08:53 PM
Gold Member

Oh, I imagine they polish the shell holders to finish diameter before sending them out. There's still a certain amount of +/- there. I'm sure if I griped enough they'd take it back and make me one that would be just perfect for my trimmer... for that caliber. Still a potential issue w/ any other shellholder I might buy down the road. Easier to just do it by hand, or as I've been doing lately, chuck it up in a drill press, and set it at a slow speed. Two handed operation; one hand reaching for a new case from one bin, the other holding a case up to the spinning VLD chamfer reamer for a second, then pitching it in the second bin. Repeat for the deburring. Not quite as fast as a Gracey or Giraud, but probably the next thing to it.

Monte
Old 11-16-2004, 09:44 PM
Silver Member

Ya, that was it. I didn't know you could polish a metal cylinder down to a diameter - I thought that had to be done on a lathe. Must be cheaper to polish - and less round/exact. Thx for the info
Old 11-17-2004, 10:14 PM
Silver Member

I use the sinclair tool with the drill attachment. The cutter is pre-set and the body which holds it, is machined square. As soon as a few revolutions pass when the case-head hits the body of the cutter,..you're done. I prep this way for matches,..and I don't think I have ever not won due to primer pockets. Some things are overrated.
Old 11-18-2004, 01:21 AM
Silver Member

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR> and I don't think I have ever not won due to primer pockets. Some things are overrated. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, but you got to admit, it's all incremental. Hard to say which "thousanths" are harder to come by, but, if you do it all, you have whittled it down to either you or the gun.

Good hunting. LB