Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Primer Pocker Reamer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2004, 02:07 PM
Gold Member

Re: Primer Pocker Reamer

My advice: get over the bit about having to have something mechanical hold the case for you, unless its due to some physical disability. It ain't that tough. Then get a primer pocket uniforming tool from one of the quality shooting supply places like Russ Haydon Shooter's Supply, Sinclair International, etc.

Monte
Old 11-13-2004, 02:59 PM
Silver Member

If you want specifics, I have one called the "Whitetail" primer pocket uniformer. I think it's solid carbide? Well made tool. You don't need anything other than your fingers to hold the case.

The Wilson tool you mention is specifically for reusing military brass with a crimped primer pocket; has no other use, that I'm aware of? But, for that purpose, it works very well.

Good hunting. LB

PS, the primer pocket reamer has cutting surfaces on the sides, whereas the uniforming tool only has the cutting blades on the bottom.

[ 11-13-2004: Message edited by: LB ]
Old 11-13-2004, 06:19 PM
Silver Member

I'm just clumbsy. thanks for the advice. I just didn't want to end up with brass that was *less consistent* that what I started with.
Old 11-13-2004, 06:56 PM
Gold Member

Somehow, I don't think it's physically possible to be *that* clumsy. Take it easy, take your time, it's not that complicated. After you do it a little bit, you may start to see that some of the hand operations are actually sort of self centering; when you push a little bit too much w/ one hand the other one gives a little bit, assuming you aren't trying to use a death-grip here. Some things work a bit better actually in my experience done by hand: chamfering the inside of the case mouth after trimming is one. I have the top-shelf Sinclair kit for my Wilson case trimmer, complete w/ Starrett micrometer, etc. When I started shooting VLD's I figured the best thing to get would obviously be a Wilson deburring tool (the one that inserts inside a Wilson trimmer in place of the normal cutter). Problem was I couldn't get an even chamfer for love nor money. Talked w/ one of the local guys that used to be a machinist at Wilson, and he said that was a pretty common complaint. The issue lies in that the true center of the cylinder where the cutter is may be a few ten thousandths off of the center of the case holder, which doesn't matter much for trimming, which is what the setup was originally designed for, but it won't give a consistent chamfer. Doing it by hand w/ a Lyman VLD chamfer tool... visibly better results, every time. Consistency is a touch-feel experience on this, to be sure, but easily mastered.

Try it!

Monte
Old 11-13-2004, 08:00 PM
Silver Member

Maybe I'm the only one that thinks this is funny, but here goes, any way.

My wife and I, and my brother and his family, and my sister and her family were caravaning from the Olympia, WA area, to Lake Kerlew, which is close to the Canadian border, and happened to pass through Cashmere, where Wilson is located.

When we stopped at the next town for lunch, (don't remember the name), I made a big deal out of passing through Cashmere. Everybody was less than impressed, when I told them how "famous" it is, and why. Especially the sister-in-law who is anti gun anyway. In fact, she needled me for several days, said she couldn't wait to drive through Cashmere, again!

Woo Hoo!

Good hunting. LB [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 11-13-2004, 10:00 PM
Silver Member

good info monte. I've been using a hand chamfer tool for years, but figgured I'd upgrade that to a Wilson.

A chamfer doesn't have to be axially perfect, so doing it by hand should be no problem. Inspecting my hand chamfered brass, I can visually detect an unevenness.

I'm guessing primers don't have to be that perfect either.

I do sort my brass by run-out. I think that may be more important.

I'll probaby drive thru Cashmere someday, but I'm gonna stop for a tour. If my liberal sis in law is with, bonus.

--thx rick
Old 11-13-2004, 11:50 PM
Gold Member

LB,

I'm probably in or around that next town over, most likely 'Wenatchee' if that sounds familiar. There is another little one in btwn, but its' a blink-and-you-miss-it place, called Monitor. I actually live down outside the south side of Wenatchee aways, so its probably about a half-hour to 45 minutes to their door for me. That, and one of the local gunsmiths (general purpose, not BR) works right behind them and has access to some of their tools and machines as needed [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Rick,

yep, my hand chamfers aren't perfect by any means. But they are, as I said, visibly better than the ones from the Wilson setup. Beer logic would seem to indicate that an even chamfer would increase the likelihood of getting the bullet seated straight to begin with; but I for one have never done any actual testing to see if it really does matter.

Monte