Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Portable shooting Benches - How many use a bench that rotates?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2010, 12:13 PM
PUBLISHER

Re: Portable shooting Benches - How many use a bench that rotates?

Eddy

What are the types of shooting that you use this bench for

Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 01-06-2010, 11:01 PM
Silver Member

I have one I bought from Cabela's that swivels 360 degree's and has three legs that fold down and is steady as a rock. Plus it has a padded seat . Folds all up and goes in the back of the pickup. I think it was called the 360 degree shooters bench. Shot a lot of PD's from that bench.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:10 PM
Platinum Member

GNERGY, very nice job building your bench...it looks pretty solid. Where did you get or did you make the 18 degree threaded mounting plates? Also the legs look too shiny to be galvanized pipe are they aluminum or SS?
Old 01-06-2010, 11:29 PM
GNERGY

Thanks, Chas 1
I made the plates for the legs, and the legs are made out of IMC ( thin wall threadable conduit used for electrical, steel galvanized ) it was cheaper than rigid pipe but just as strong. Home depot will cut the plywood in squares and thread the pipe for FREE too.

Tarey
Old 01-07-2010, 12:34 AM
Platinum Member

Thanks for responding. I was afraid the plates were handmade...I'm not set up for doing any sort of metal work but, I can damn near build anything in wood so I'm thinking I could put the 18 degrees into the wood...I got to think about it. Conduit...great idea and lighter than pipe. Nice to know Home Depot will thread. That's one of the few benches where I really like the way you've shaped/outlined of the wood and what looks like 1/4" round router bit used on the edge...keeps from snagging stuff.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:46 AM
GNERGY

No router, just a litle belt sander that I use to round all the edges.
You could make shims to go under flat plates for the legs to angle them out to 18*
Tarey
Old 01-07-2010, 01:12 AM
Platinum Member

Ya , shims would work too and quicker. I got either a band saw which i can jig f/18* or table saw with max 4.5" height of cut above table w/blade set to 18* out of some 1" scrap oak boards I have laying around and then use some Titebond II premium wood glue to attached to underside of table (stuff holds so good that if you try to break the glue joint you wind up breaming the wood) then once you do the bolt through...it ain't going nowhere.