Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Portable shooting Benches - How many use a bench that rotates?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2009, 01:59 PM
PUBLISHER

Portable shooting Benches - How many use a bench that rotates?

Describe the type of PORTABLE bench you use or that you would like to use.

Size of top, pivoting or not pivoting, etc.

Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 12-29-2009, 05:49 PM
Gold Member

re: Portable shooting Benches - How many use a bench that rotates?

[QUOTE=Len Backus;343385]Describe the type of PORTABLE bench you use or that you would like to us
the word portable, is about like beautiful, its a personal thing. to some, portable is anything that can be moved. to others, like me for example its smothing small and light, fully adjustable to the terrain, and can easily be carried for long distances. i doubt you would find more diverse opinions and examples than are here in pa.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:42 PM
Platinum Member

I don't have a picture of just the bench but you can see it. It has adjustable height and the table will pan and tilt. The seat was made from an office chair so it can go up and down in height on command as well. The bench is made from an old heavy duty cinema tripod head and some red neck engineering. It is about 50 # and 40 of it is the tripod head. I got the idea from Kevin Cram. His is much lighter though with equal rigidity.

Old 12-29-2009, 08:24 PM
Platinum Member

No photo at the moment but - my portable bench is made of double 3/4" ply and is shaped for rt or lt hand use. It has three legs which is MUCH better in the field than the 4 legged benches, IMO anyway.

I use cast iron threaded pipe flanges to attach the legs and have the flanges mounted on a slight angle so the legs pitch outward when inserted. Legs are made of threaded iron pipe. A smaller diameter iron pipe is inserted in the outer pipe and a T handle lock was threaded through the outer pipe and used as a lock so that the legs can be adjusted for length. If all legs are fully extended you can shoot off the bench while standing. This comes in very handy when shooting over tall vegetation.

Mounting brackets were designed and attached to the table bottom for storage of the legs when not attached. Notches in the sides of the table will allow a rifle to safely rest against the bench without blowing over. A hole or two in the bench top will allow for an umbrella to be installed when shade is needed.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:21 AM
GNERGY

These are the plans that I used to make my table, just made the top a little bigger.
portable shooting bench plans
Pics of my bench. Top is 32in. wide X 40in. long with cutout sides.
Tarey

Last edited by GNERGY; 12-30-2009 at 11:12 PM.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:42 AM
PUBLISHER

How many use a bench that rotates?

Thanks, guys.

How many use a bench that rotates?

Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 01-04-2010, 11:59 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Portable shooting Benches - How many use a bench that rotates?

I use a coyote jake's bench that rotates. Basically a central post design that the seat swings around and the table rotates independently on the top of the central post. Other than unloading the thing and setting it up it is very good IMO.