Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Poor quality chamber-rifling in new rifle. What to do?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2006, 07:10 PM

Poor quality chamber-rifling in new rifle. What to do?

I purchased a new Remington 700 BDL in Remington 223. I used a bore scope and was shocked when I viewed the start of the rifling at the bore and found that 3 of the lands were cut away and 3 were correct in the bore. I guess I am asking for help in what to do with the rifle. I am sure disappointed with the quality control. I guess I should just have custom built rifles.
Old 12-28-2006, 07:17 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Poor quality chamber-rifling in new rifle. What to do?

Take it back! and be firm!
Old 12-28-2006, 07:36 PM

Thanks for the responce. I am new to this forum. Should I try to contact Remington first. I live in a really small town and the gun stor guy is a great fellow, but I hate to stick it to him. Anyone had any luck with contacting Remington. I can shoot photos of the poor quality to send.

Thanks again and Happy New Year
Old 12-28-2006, 08:00 PM
Platinum Member

if the rifling is messed up, i don't think that taking it back where you bought it would be "sticking it to him"
Old 12-28-2006, 09:10 PM
Platinum Member

Take it back and let him deal with Remington let him express how their poor QC is costing him money and a bad reputation for selling junk. Your just a poor guy that bought a bad gun hes the poor guy that going to be the looser in the long run from bad claims about the crap hes selling !!
None of that may be true but Remington doesn't have to know it !!
I saw one Rem 700 BDL in 30-06 that had a bore that was so bad you could see the tight spots with your eye , the guy had shot it for years and figured oh well he got a lemon , I had a buddy bore scope it and the lands and grooves were way out of wack so he sent it back to remington , they sent it back saying that it was within spec and by some miracle the barrel looked brand new.
You spent you money on the Rem because they have the reputation for being great and "the most accurate factory" gun out their. don't settel for anything less that what you expected when you payed for it
Old 12-28-2006, 09:22 PM

THANKS ALL FOR THE RESPONCES. I APPRECIATE THE INFO.
I had Darrell Holland build a rifle for me and it is worth the extra money to know it was done right. I think I have purchased the last store bought rifle.
Happy New Year To All
Old 12-28-2006, 09:35 PM
Platinum Member

Try this. It didn't work with Weatherby but maybe Remington has better customer service.

Go up on Remington's website and click on "Support" then find "warranty"

[ QUOTE ]
What must you do to make a claim under this warranty?
First, when you purchase your firearm, you must complete and mail the warranty registration card to us. Then, if you discover a defect, you must notify us or an authorized Remington warranty repair center before the end of the two-year period. You may either call or write to Remington at:

Remington Arms Company, Inc.
Consumer Service Department
870 Remington Drive
P.O. Box 700
Madison, NC 27025-0700
(800) 243-9700

PLEASE DO NOT RETURN FIREARMS TO THE ABOVE ADDRESS.
If we decide that it is necessary for you to return the firearm to the factory or an authorized warranty repair center, the sender must prepay freight. We will not accept C.O.D. shipments.

[/ QUOTE ]