Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Please Delete

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2011, 05:29 PM
Silver Member

Please Delete

So I was wanting to buy a Lucas bore guide but some other people ruined it for other Canadians. I have no mill, or lathe, just simple tools and decided to make my own, tell me what you think. I have not cut an access hole for slovents as I only use Wipeout, Have to try something else out, Wipeout eats copper and brass.

Last edited by noneck180; 04-22-2011 at 01:28 AM.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:29 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Homemade bore guide

If you have a hole drilled in the copper cap the same size as your cleaning rod to keep it centered you have a bore guide. How closely does the copper tube come to matching the receiver? You might get a little dribble into the chamber but easy to clean up. I have a Lucas guide and never use the fluid slot.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 04-21-2011, 06:42 PM
Silver Member

The hole in the cap is slightly larger than the the cleaning rod, this is my first attempt, I may try and find some grommets, to install the cap. The pipe is .627 and the bolt .687 but the case is what lines the guide up perfect , with the primer pocket being drilled very close to the size of the rod. I also installed an O-ring at the base of the case so thge copper pipe doesn't hit the chamber.I am making one up for my 204 Ruger right now. I think after I get a couple under my belt I will have it down.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:28 PM
Platinum Member

I was just sitting here thinking. Because the bore guide is copper the copper removing solvents you use are going to effect it. So when running clean patches you might find it difficult to tell when things are clean.

You have a good idea so far. Plastic might be worth a look.Here is a link to United States Plastics Corp. They have plastic tubing of every size and some are chemical proof.

Good luck on your endeavor.

Home | Plastic Tanks | Plastic Buckets | Plastic Bottles | Labware | Plastic Tubing | PVC Pipe | U.S. Plastic Corp.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 04-21-2011, 09:49 PM
Platinum Member

my sinclair guide is a milled specific for bolt size and a ''O" ring at chamber with solvent slot, it was on $19 from them works great, sized for rod.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:26 PM
Silver Member

This is awesome. I was wanting to do the same thing, just not sure how. Keep us updated please. How is the shell attatched to the copper tube??? Thanks for the post!!!
Old 04-21-2011, 11:07 PM
Silver Member

I used accra glass I am just in the "development" stages..lol. I have some JB weld too. The one in the pic I took apart already. I am learning as I go. After getting the O-rings it made it a lot easier to keep the case straight. This is just an experiment, I am not trying to cut anybody's grass. I have spare time at night..70% chance it won't work and I will just buy one. If I could get the Lucas I would...Thinkin I have to cut an access hole, to put the patches on..

Last edited by noneck180; 04-21-2011 at 11:27 PM.