Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Peltor Tac 7 S head set

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2006, 08:30 PM
Platinum Member

Peltor Tac 7 S head set

I got a set of these last year from a Marine that was helping us out/Working with us (hurricane Katrina),I traded him for some AR parts and work.

Well they are pretty nice as they have a sterio feature that allows you to hear like without hearing protection
(actualy a little better) and they shut off as the DB level reaches 85 you can actualy clap and hear the differance.
My only complaint is that they only block about 21-23 DB which is a good bit less than my custom silicone plugs or any quality insert foam plugs. Dads Bennie Cooley braked 300 ultra is pretty loud still as is the 11.5" M4 but their not as loud as a 22 LR without hearing protection.
They are pretty comfortable on my big mellon and my wife had no complaints on her cute little head.

Over all I think that they would be a good investment for sombody that shoots where they have alot of range comands or shoots in close areas with their buddies. I know I've been stung several time by yo-yo's that diden't hear the cease fire call or ignored it , these probably would have prevented that.
Old 08-31-2006, 09:10 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Peltor Tac 7 S head set

Glad to hear they work, I just got a pair of the Tac 6's.
Old 09-01-2006, 05:37 AM
Platinum Member

For extra db protection have you tried wearing foam plugs under them and then turning the volume up so you can still hear talking?

Only accurate rifles are interesting.

Gordy and Brady.
Old 09-01-2006, 05:52 AM
Platinum Member

Well, I don't particularly like mine because they seem to touch the stock and the recoil lifts them up and I get all of the noise inside. I have four other sets of standard ear muffs, all different, and have never had this problem before. Perhaps I just dont get them fitted right.

The other thing is that the on off knob is too easy to get turned on by accident and and then the battery is run down.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:52 PM
Bronze Member

Interesting - Most headsets I have seen only give 19-21 db rpotection but the evidence I am hearing is that is often not enough.

What are good ear plugs for use field shooting? And possibly under headsets at the range>

This is important to me as I now have growing tinutitus and Over here there has just been a study showing that shooters have significantly more hearing loss - especially in the left ear.

makse me wish silencers were available here
Old 09-14-2006, 08:51 PM
Platinum Member

Any good in the ear foam fit plugs work great , I get some from work that are rated at 33bd reduction and they fit pretty well , I keep some everywhere , I'm always giving them out to guys that forgot theirs or diden't think to bring any cause they were only gonna shoot a few times.

I use my custom made silicone plugs with these muss over them and turned all the way up this alows me to hear pretty well yet the sound reduction is awsome , it makes a 11.5" M4 a pleasure to shoot.
Our shooting club offers the custom plugs a few times a year and they cost about $50 a set but they are well worth it. Although the good foam ones would work just as well their just a little harder for me to fit as my left ear has a slight deformation inside and its a pain in the nuts to get the plug roled up tight and fished in their before it starts to expand