Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

PDA and software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2007, 11:31 PM
Silver Member

Contact Exbal

When I ordered Exbal I was going toget the Palm version because I already owned 2 Palm PDAs. When I talked to the owner (Gerald I think?), He "STRONGLY" advised against the Palm version. Advice I took.

Send them an e-mail from the link above (with Ph#), he called me in short order and explained every thing regarding the difference between the Pocket PC and the Palm versions.

In the long run you'll be glad you did.

Southpaw
Old 12-27-2007, 04:22 PM
Silver Member

wow !
so many choices ??????

which one ? an x3 , 5 or ?????

i am new also, so someone PLEASE gimme the scoop on what make and model, what installed software needs to be in it, and what i need to install, as well as from where and how, i want this for only running ballistic programs.

i wanted to get a palm cell phone, so i could get everything all in one, but used pda's appear to be real cheap compared to an all in one phone/pda.....

thanks all...
Old 12-27-2007, 05:01 PM
Bronze Member

ANother question on PDA ballistic software. I just Purchased a Palm VIIX for $20. I would like to use a very basic ballistics program. I don't need a fancy program. Just one I can input the basics and get a shooting solution. I looked at EXBAL and Nightforce. But putting $70 worth of software on a $20 PDA seems foolish.

Are there any freeware or reasonably priced programs anyone know about?
Please include a link if you have one.
thanks
Lucas
Old 12-27-2007, 05:07 PM
Gold Member

Hi Ksmirk,

I used Exball on Palm T/X with expandable SD Card Memory, and lots of contact phone numbers.
This unit is a fancy one, $499.00, with Email, and Wireless WI-FI conection Bluetuth, and IR Conection., Documents to Go (EXCELL, wORD, POWERPOINT)

For Hunting to run Exbal, just go on cheap one over Ebay, don't expand your mony on expensive PDA.

Chris
Old 12-27-2007, 07:16 PM
Silver Member

Hey guys man the opinions of everyone is great! bet you thought you'd never hear that. I was looking at the site and it appears that as long as you have a palm with an OS of 3.5 or newer all should work out fine, reason I'm looking at the cheapos is the fact I have a tendancy to well break things or leave them so granted I'd be a bit ticked if I left my Palm out in the middle of some range a $20 Palm is not going to hurt my feelings as bad as a $200 - $400 dollar whis bang device. Again fella's thanks a bunch! Later,

Kirk
Old 12-30-2007, 01:05 PM
Platinum Member

The Perry guy tried to talk me into the pocket pc version too. No way I'm taking that kind of money out in the rain. I bought the Palm version and put it on the $99 Palm from Staples. Got the waterproof clear cover for it. It works great and the battery only needs charged once a month.

Only accurate rifles are interesting.

Gordy and Brady.
Old 12-30-2007, 02:42 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hired Gun View Post
The Perry guy tried to talk me into the pocket pc version too. No way I'm taking that kind of money out in the rain. I bought the Palm version and put it on the $99 Palm from Staples. Got the waterproof clear cover for it. It works great and the battery only needs charged once a month.
Thats TRUE.
Just get OS instead WINDOWS, and your battery will last forever.
My palm is OS 5.3 and works just fine with Exbal. I never got problems running Exbal on OS platform. And the batery last for really really long time.

Chris