Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

PDA and software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2007, 06:50 PM
Silver Member

PDA and software

Ok guys it looks like I need some help here, when it comes to electronic stuff and software I'm out of my comfort zone! I either go crazy and get WAY to much or play cheap thinking it will be enough then have to get something else.

PDA, what have you guys been using? I'm not looking to store tons of phone numbers and run Windows I just want t good PDA to run a ballistics program that I can take out with me.

Ballistics Software, you guys know what works the best please help a guy out here! I normally just use my Mil-Dot master but I'd like to find something to help out and something I could doublecheck myself with also.

Thanks a mess guys! Later,

Kirk
Old 12-15-2007, 07:10 PM
Gold Member

I run exbal on a palm zire 31, It has 16 megs of memory and has plenty of memory to run the program, comes with the software to load on your computer to upload exbal.
Do a search for perry systems and you'll find exbal, I think any palm unit running 8 megs or more will run exbal ok, but not positive on that.
RR
Old 12-15-2007, 07:49 PM
Platinum Member

You can email the maker of Exbal (and order it here) and ask what he reccomends: Perry-Systems - Ballistic Calculator Software

But I'll tell you he reccomends a pocket-pc based system over the palm, to put it mildly. If all you want to do is run Exbal, find the cheapest machine that'll do so on ebay, make sure you get the necessary accessories and then have fun the learning curve! Good luck.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 12-16-2007, 07:05 AM
Silver Member

Another vote for Perry Systems Exbal and Palm (T3) never had a problem but I do make sure the hand held is kept in an inside pocket so the battery doesn't get exposed to cold.
Old 12-16-2007, 08:47 AM
Silver Member

Thanks fella's! I have a couple of Palms on e-bay I'm a watchin right now, I was looking at the Exbal software and it looks to be similar to the software I had before but mine would show the impact points using a mil-dot but would also show the bullet drop and wind correction but that was years ago and the ex wife found I had her palm in my shooting bag so ya know she wanted it back ($&@#(&%#$#) oh well. I guess I'll order the software after we get this Christmas holiday over with I have not looked but I'll dig around on here and find out where I can order the software.

Again fella's thanks much for the help now to just figure out the other goodies I need to pick up to make this trasition to being able to use tools tather than just what you have on hand, the tactical shooting we were doing was limited to just what you had and the only thing we could use was a mil-dot master nothing that had batteries! now what am I going to be able to blame a miss on. Later,

Kirk
Old 12-16-2007, 09:56 AM
Platinum Member

I use exbal on a palm m130, they are cheap, but when the battery dies, you have to re-install everything (volatile memory). So I upgraded to a Palm Tungsten, battery life is better, calculation is blazing fast and it has non-volatile memory.
The cheaper Black and white monitor is easier to see in the sun than my new color tungsten though.

HTH,

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 12-17-2007, 10:15 AM
Gold Member

Honestly I would go w/ a pocket pc such as a dell axim. Exbal has had some problems w/ the palm and a dell axim I upgraded to has been flawless.