Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Past Recoil Shield.....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-10-2007, 03:19 PM
Gold Member
Re: Past Recoil Shield.....

I just always have a smith install a sims or decell pad, it doesn't hurt nothing when ya don't need it, and ya can't leave it at home.
Born to Hunt, Forced to Work!

Unread 01-10-2007, 04:12 PM
Bronze Member

+1 on the Limbsaver recoil pad. I did some load testing for a friend this summer on his 6.5 lb .30-06.... and I am a sissy. I bought a slip-on limbsaver and was amazed how much felt recoil it reduced. After my friend picked the rifle up and shot it with and without the pad, he bought one himself... (I kept mine [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img])
~Pray to God...but swim toward shore~
Unread 01-10-2007, 04:35 PM
Gold Member

THanks for the info folks. I would have already replaced the pad but just felt like keeping the rifle basically stock.

All would have been well if I hadn't checked on the the rifle through Ruger and found out they only made a limited number with the bull barrel in this caliber. Since then it has mostly just sat in the corner of the safe. I figured that since it was just sitting there I might as well shoot it or swap it off, and figured it would swap better with a group and load to show for it's self. I had a load years back when I first got it that was consistantly under 1/2" but through the years have lost track of that data. I am also the world worst at letting go of a firearm. I sold a Ruger 22-250 Varminter last year ot help finiance the A.M. and that rig was an awesome shooter.

I know everything but the powder and charge weight and have narrowed it down to three different loads I have noted. Just no notes on which one shot the tiny groups. Of course the lots of powder I had themn are long gone so it is sort of back to the drawing board.

I will pick up of the Past's this weekend and if it doesn't work out I will go with the Limbsaver. I only ned it for this particular rifle and hopefully I might find the load in the next couple of weekends so IO won't need it at all. Just load up a ton of rounds and hunt with it.
Mike / Tx

My Photo's

"Heck why would I lie, most folks don't believe the truth when I tell them"
Unread 01-11-2007, 12:17 PM
Silver Member

I have been using one for at least 10yrs when shooting from the bench, would not shoot my "larger" rifles with out it. Funny thing tho, I broke mine about 3 yrs ago. Shooting in really cold temps with it on my exterior and the pad inside broke clean in half. Always wondered if PAST would warranty a product failure like that. Maybe someday when I am really bored, I check into it. Point being it still works great, broke..

Member #92