Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Past Recoil Shield.....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2007, 05:32 PM
Gold Member

Past Recoil Shield.....

Ok, I admit it, I have been ruined by the brake on my Allen MAg.

Now thats out, I have a Ruger 77 chambered in 280 that has the original hard rubber butpad on it. TRying to work up loads with the heavier weight bullets just sucks to be honest.

Do any of you have much exoperience with the Past Recoil Shields? IF so how well do they knock the felt recoil down?

I don't need it to hunt with only to work up loads from the bench. With the heavier bullets, it gets a bit much after getting frogged a couple of times by that solid pad.

THanks

My Photo's

"Heck why would I lie, most folks don't believe the truth when I tell them"
Old 01-09-2007, 05:58 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Past Recoil Shield.....

If you're talking about the pad that straps on over your shirt, they work pretty well. I bought one for my wife to use when she is shooting the 7mm Rem Mag at the range.

An easier/cheaper solution that I've used in the past is a shotbag full of sand, standing between your shoulder and the recoil pad on the gun; it really spreads the jolt out and is basically free. I know its low tech and a bit "shade tree mechanic" but heh?

Hope this helps,
Don

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 01-09-2007, 09:16 PM
Gold Member

Hey Don,

10-4 on the sand bag, I have used that one many a time. I even have a couple I built out of some vinyl that I keep around for just that purpose. I just have a habit of leaving them at the house when I head to the country. I was just looking for something thinner, that I could keep in the case or my cleaning box.

I don't mind the recoil just ain't got much paddin up there around that shoulder. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

My Photo's

Old 01-09-2007, 09:36 PM
Platinum Member

Here is a good thread. I have a Cabelas and like it.

Recoil pad
Old 01-09-2007, 10:11 PM
Silver Member

Mike, if you don't like the straps, cut them off & sew some velcro on the top & bottom tabs. Put matching velcro strips on the inside of your hunting/ shooting coat & you can put it in or take it out at will. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-10-2007, 04:56 AM
Gold Member

Thanks BB, I did several searches and came up with just about every thread but that one or "Sorry nothing matches your ....

I will definately check into both. Most likly I will pick up one of the shoulder ones first, since I can get one right around the corner. Thanks again for the info.

Speedbump,

Since about 90% of my shooting from the bench is while wearing a tee shirt, and in warm weather, I will have to work with the straps, not a big issue, In the field, shooting is not a problem with any of the rifles I have, and I hardly ever notice the recoil. There are times however when a quick shot presents it's self that I don't get things squared quite right that they get my attention, but I can work through one or two shots. It's the 10+ back to back that seem to creep up on me. Thanks .

My Photo's

Old 01-10-2007, 12:17 PM
Silver Member

I use a Past magnum recoil pad every time I shoot from the Bench. No need in getting beat up if you don't have to.