Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

PAC-NOR Polygonal super match barrel 8 Twist .224

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2006, 08:42 PM
Silver Member

PAC-NOR Polygonal super match barrel 8 Twist .224

I have been working with this super match polygonal barrel for about a month and i'm to point that im done wasting powder and bullets on this tomato stake. It has a rough bore tight spots and isn't any easier to clean than any other barrel. Velcioty isn't any better and accuracy sucks. It chambered for a 22 dasher shooting laupa brass neck turned on a trued action that is proven to be accurate and nightforce scope. This barrel is worse than most than most factory tubes. It is a 3/4 to 1 moa barrel. It will shoot 2 or 3 shots before spraying them all over the place. I am going to call Pac-nor on monday and e-mail them to see what they will do. I think it was Dave Wilson who posted about a bad Pac-Nor Polygonal barrel, when i read his post I had a bad feeling because I already ordered the barrel. I should of known better but i'm a glutton for punishment. From know on all of my barrel will be benchmarks because they shoot and you talk directly to the owner. I am very dissapointed in this barrel for $240 it should be top notch, a krieger,hart,ect is only $30 more.n Im sure that their are many shaw and factory tubes that but this one to shame. I 'm going to call on Monday and if they don't make good on this tube I wouldn't advise any one to buy one of their barrels. I wait and see what happens
Old 04-23-2006, 05:00 AM
Bronze Member

Re: PAC-NOR Polygonal super match barrel 8 Twist .224

I had a pac-nor polygonal super match 9 twist 7mm that would not shoot any better than 1 1/2 moa. I tried fast powders,slow powders,light bullets,heavy bullets, it just did not make a difference. It was the worst barrel i ever had.
Old 04-23-2006, 05:54 AM
Silver Member

Reed please let us know the outcome of your call to Pac Nor. I was thinking of ordering one of their barrels at some point, and customer service is very important. I will certainly stay clear of a Polygonal barrel.

Frank D
Old 04-23-2006, 08:01 AM
Gold Member

reed

i hope you the best with pac nor but i already know what chris will likely say.

see this post about my troubles with pac nor
http://longrangehunting.com/ubbthreads/s...rt=all&vc=1

d-a
Old 04-23-2006, 10:39 AM
daveosok

Reed

Sorry to hear your dissapointments. I along with d-a went through hell on one of their barrels. If you follow the link posted by d-a you'll understand it better.

I have a Lothar Walther polygonal rifled barrel here and it shoots great and it was cheap also at 175 for a 26 inch 1.25 dia tube. I turned it myself to appx 1 inch muzzle dia and its on a win m70. It loves the Berger 186, 175, and 190's and will print between the 100 and 200 yard marks bughog sized groups at 300 they open up to a little under .5 inches.

I would recommend Lothar Walther if youre wanting a poly rifled barrel.

So far I've counted three instances where Pac-Nor has put out some ****** tubes thats enough to warrent never using them again. I can understand one instance but now three people on here have had problems with their barrels.

I havent read any of Shilen, Lilja, Broughton or for that matter any other rifle barrel manufacture that has had three negative hits on them.

Good luck dealing with Chris, he didnt want to eat a 400 dollar barrel d-a got even when I rockwelled it at 23 when its supposed to be 28.
Old 04-23-2006, 02:07 PM
Silver Member

I am going to call on Monday, but im not to worried about it. If they burn me on this barrel i will make sure that they lose more money than me [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] i might get burned for one barrel, but when you post your results here, precision hunting, benchrest. com. Thousands of shooters know whats going on , they might of burned us on three barrels but in the long run it cost them more than us. In this sport it is all reputation. With out you don't have anything. I let you know what they say. It is just amazing that they are all polygonal barrels. You would think that they would fix the problem. Thanks for your help it makes me feel better that there are a few of us that had the same experience.
Old 04-23-2006, 02:33 PM
Silver Member

Not to question the skill of your smith, but a friend of mine had a rifle that wouldn't group worth a darn. It had a krieger barrel so he figured it had to be something else. He sent it to our smith and received it back 2 weeks later with the barrel 2 inches shorter. But the chamber is straight now. From the posts here it sounds like a Manufacturing issue, but you might double check everything just to be sure before you cry wolf.

Be kind to your neighbors... shoot quietly..
WWW.Gem-tech.com
WWW.Advanced-Armament.com