Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Opinions on a new chronograph

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2013, 08:06 AM
Silver Member

Opinions on a new chronograph

I'm looking to buy my first chrono. Been reloading for years and finally need to get one. Has anybody used the Competition Electronics ProChrono?

It's in my budget at about $120 from Midway. Great reviews but wondering if I should bank some more cash and get something better. I don't need the most expensive or newest version but didnt know if there was something better for a few more bucks.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:22 AM
Gold Member

Re: Opinions on a new chronograph

I had one and it worked well for about 16-18 months then gave up on me.

I really liked it. Not sure if my experience is indicative of their quality as a whole.

If I was doing it again, I would save up for the Magneto or the Accoustic. Actually doing that now ;)
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty to throw off such governments. …” Jefferson

We are very close to this point now.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:03 AM
Silver Member

I've had a Pro Chrono for quite a while(don't remember when I got it) and it works well. I store it in a plastic case with the skyscreens relaxed and so far it works every time.

I had it set up with the skyscreens on for a while and the screens cracked after a period of time and I had to replace them(several years ago).

I would like a magnetic type also so I can chrony loads and pressure test by just driving out of town a mile and blasting into ditch without having to go to the range and set up a chrony. I think the magentic type may change bullet impact.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:21 PM
Bronze Member

i've had one for a couple of years, and have been perfectly happy with it. it consistently picks up everything from 4200+ fps 204s down to sub-1000fps stuff in any level of sunlight. like you, i wanted a decent quality, reasonably priced chrono, and it fit the bill, and was MADE IN THE USA!

so far, i am 100% satisfied with it!
Old 04-14-2013, 09:40 PM
Silver Member

Thanks for all of the replies. I think I'm gonna go ahead and try it out.