Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Opinions on bench rests?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2008, 09:47 PM
Platinum Member

Opinions on bench rests?

Bipod is the way to go but be cautious, there is a knack to using a harris type. It seems one has to "load" it w/forward pressure consistently from shot to shot.

If you shoot off your pack, I'd zero off your pack and worry about a bipod for next season.

Just my thoughts.
Old 09-14-2008, 06:30 AM
Silver Member

Re: Opinions on bench rests?

Right on. Thanks Roy.

Do you hunt in the Palisades at all?

If yes, do you find a bi-pod to be practical in such tight cover?
Old 09-15-2008, 06:22 AM
Platinum Member

South of Palisades area in unit 69.

For walk & stalk the bipod is iffy and I don't use a Harris type folding thing. For a steady shot at the distances you are talking I have a set of DIY shooting sticks that are great.

Setup can be very quick and they are adjustable by narrow or wide stance for a comfortable sitting or kneeling position.

I find the bipod good for an ambush position from a hide that is developed by chopping grass and limbs and scratching dirt or digging ruts for elevation differences. Even with all of that prep I find that I have to use the pack or rolled up shooting mat to get a little more elevation.

Get a couple of those ceramic or whatever electric fence posts (1/4" diameter) and lace them together with electrical tape about 4" from the end. Flex them a bit and give 'em a try. This would be the prototype and will not support the rifle properly but will let you know if you like the idea.

I ended up with a chap leather strap about 8 or 9" long and wide enough to sew around the stick.. I sewed about 4" of both, ends put some Gorilla glue over the ends of the sticks and slipped the sewn ends over them and let dry.

When cross there's a nice cradle for the fore arm to rest in. Color the white sticks with some brown or black cobblers shoe sole edge dressing then scratch em up a bit for a camo affect.

The second use as a walking stick for some of those steep spots. Attach to you pack if you don't like waving a stick around.;)

It supports a 10# sporter fore arm very well. Doesn't like 12# 3" wide fore arms at all.

Its good for uneven ground but ya gotta be careful with that. I've found that the further from center the rifle to an extreme will cause some misses especially with big unbraked, heavy recoiling cartridges.

That'll save you another few bucks. Total cost is less than 5 bucks.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:06 AM
Silver Member

Nice set up.
I've been shooting off my collapse-able trekking poles. I X them up with a ski strap. I have a pretty thick wrap of tape around the shafts. I need to make a cradle similar to what you have done. I think that will be a lot better. Still a little shakey with the 7mm. Got them down practicing with the .22 out to 100 yds. I think I'm going to take the 7mm. out today for some work on it. Found a good spot to do some cross canyon stump shooting(400-600 yds.).

Thanks for the tip!

Chris