Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Opinions on bench rests?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2008, 06:28 AM
Silver Member

Opinions on bench rests?

Howdy All, As I posted, someone "poached" my Lead Sled out of my old rig awhile back.
I need to re-zero for the season with my bullet of choice. So I am going to buy a new bench rest.

What do you recommend ? Why ?

Chris
Old 09-13-2008, 07:28 AM
Gold Member

Re: Opinions on bench rests?

Do you shoot with a bipod in the field?
You may find a slight difference in POI between the two.
I've been useing my bi-pod with a rear bag more and more. Plus it simultes field conditions.

Old 09-13-2008, 08:34 AM
Platinum Member

I have just bought one of the nicer Caldwells here in the last year. But since I have started using 9-13 inch Harris bipods on my rifles. I have noticed for me the groups are better and it is easier to hold on target. So I agree with Gamedog here, you might just want to by a bipod and try it. Another thing that has come to my attention is what I shoot off of. I had a piece of 1" foam I was laying on the other day and the bag for the back of the stock was on it. I shot a rotten group at 500 yds. I removed the foam and shot another. Bingo! 3 shots just under 3". Hard to beat the ground and a good bipod.

JMO.

Jeff
Old 09-13-2008, 05:24 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamedog View Post
Do you shoot with a bipod in the field?
I shoot from a few positions. Mostly I shoot prone with my backpack as a rest. I've shot seated off my trekking poles, prone off my poles with a rope under my buttstock, off my arm rested against a tree, etc.... Pretty much what ever suits my need at the time.

Is a bi-pod really the "way to go"? They seem super popular. I wasn't sure if they were worth the extra weight. I hike everywhere. Opinions would be greatly appreciated.

New question; Should I zero as I shoot in the field ?

I've always set my zero from a benchrest. That is the only time I shoot from a bench rest.
Old 09-13-2008, 06:14 PM
Platinum Member

I zero from my bipod on the ground.

Jeff
Old 09-13-2008, 06:16 PM
Platinum Member

Various field positions work until the range gets long (500+ or so), then a more consistent position is better in my opinion.

Yes a bipod is great, but it depends on the terrain you are hunting if a bipod will work and which length is best.

Getting your initial zero from the bench is fine, but it must be verified using the position and range you will be hunting with.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 09-13-2008, 09:44 PM
Silver Member

Thanks for the input.

I won't be stretching this rifle (Vanguard 7RM) out to long ranges on a live target. I've punched paper at 600, 800, & 1,000 yds., but, I don't see myself shooting a deer, elk or a bear beyond 400 yds. with it. At least without a serious optical upgrade.

Maybe I'll continue to work with out a rest as I have been. "If it ain't broke..." I figure most of my shots will be in the 250 or less neighborhood.

Thanks again.
You guys just help me put a couple hundred bucks in the LR DREAM RIFLE kitty.