Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Oehler 35p question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2004, 11:01 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Oehler 35p question

Somewhere there is a post where I suggested a bunch of basics and spare parts to order when buying an Oehler.

The laser trick is simple. Just use a laser pointer (or one of those bore sighters if you have one). Measure your rear Skyscreen location at 10' from your muzzle. Then get a buddy to hold a piece of paper or cardboard at the rear skyscreen and place the laser at the muzzle, so it points parallel to the bore. The bottom of the cardboard is in line with the top of the skyscreen. When you fire the laser you will see exactly where the bullet's path will be, just move the screen-holders over, up down or whatever to ensure the bullet will be centered and a few inched over the screen. Works faster than it takes to type it. Then go to the front screen and repeat, and you are ready to start shooting.
The 35P is as reliable as an anvil, I am confident you will enjoy yours. Get the printer, get some spare skyscreen bodies (I carry one complete skysceen assembly in each chrono kit). Get a 5$ level, a pair of plyers, a tape measure, spare batteries, spare pens and paper or notebook. I use big tool boxes with a closed cell liner to keep everything in place. Also get three spare diffusers and side brackets when you order, they get shot every so often.
I use an elaborate system to hold and space my skyscreens - uses two Bogan camera tripods and a machined 1/2" rod that holds the skyscreens at exact intervals, never have to measure that. The rig is great, very adjustable, very expensive when you shoot it tho.

[ 04-07-2004: Message edited by: Ian M ]
Old 04-07-2004, 11:16 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks Ian. I found the thread where you described the spare parts, but also found one where you PM'ed Brent with your method on setting up your skyscreens. Couldn't find it anywhere else. I've had my Oehler for 4 years now, love it. Only problem I've been having with it is that I get a 007 code, and only one reading. I noticed yesterday that when I'm shooting a cluster of targets, appears I'm at the edge of my sighting window. Think that if I shoot higher over the screens, it will give me more lattitude. Right now I set up aprox half way up on the "V". Have had some issues when shooting a .300 ultra with anything over 3200fps. Muzzle blast? Don't have the same problem with a .223. Haven't nailed a screen just yet, not like my hunting buddy who nailed his Crony, TWICE [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Thanks, Al
Old 04-07-2004, 11:26 PM

thanks guys. that is what I was looking for. Any more helpful info?

Kris [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-13-2004, 07:28 PM

I just fired mine up today for the first time. I went with an 8 foot piece of half inch conduit to make my spread longer. Don't forget to change the numbers if you lengthen the rod and definitely get the printer as it does alot of figuring for you. Can't wait to shoot mine so I can whine. Great board guys.
Old 04-14-2004, 12:34 PM
Platinum Member

AJ,

I pretty much shoot all my stuff with the first screen set about 10 feet away and never have errors or muzzle blast problems.
I did have a problem with the proof channel start screen not triggering the last time out, may have been the light or path over the screen but the main start and stop screens still worked fine. I'm not sure what was up with that, first time I've ever seen it. When I use a rail on the M43 it has a diagnosis screen that tells you the milliseconds each screen triggered at, or if one failed to trigger, same with the acoustic target's microphones. I've always got reading when hooked to the 35P, didn't even know it had some sort of error reporting code, but I haven't read the book on it for.... a long time, might not have read that part even. Oehler's pretty good about helping out with problems. i had a problem with my acoustic target once last year, Clovis there at Oehler told me to plug the mic's into my 35P and tap each mic to see if each triggered the printer. I believe the one you tapped on had to be plugged into the 35P on the plugin that turns the 35P on in order to activate the printer when tapped on though. Ken gave me some pointers on a better target backer setup behind the acoustic target which cured the problem I had. Helpfull folks and a guaranteed product.
Old 04-15-2004, 09:06 PM
Bronze Member

Brent, If the readout shows 0000, or 9999 it indicates that either the start or the stop screen didn't see the bullet. On one shot my proof channel had a reading of 0007, main channel read 3245, which was within 25FPS of other readings in the string. We have some electronic "noise" at the range, the chrono will trigger and give some weird readings. Not a cloud in the sky so shouldn't be lightning in the area [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] Wish I could afford a 43, looking seriously at the RSI equipment. If I'd quit bying guns I might even be able to afford a laptop [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-16-2004, 12:09 PM
Platinum Member

I'll have to dig out my owners manual again, laptop's off getting fixed so I'm using the 35P more. PressureTrace is the superior product from a chamber pressure measurement standpoint, no doubts, and for the money it is a super buy. The local range here sets next to an airport with some fair amount of electical noise, thankfully it hasn't been a problem for the most part.