Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Not wildly exiting- but please help! Recoil Slots Too Far Apart To Mount Scope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2004, 10:16 AM
Gold Member

Not wildly exiting- but please help! Recoil Slots Too Far Apart To Mount Scope

Suggestions gratefully received!

Here's my seriously frustrating [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] problem:

My Sauer 202 has 2 piece Warne weaver bases epoxied to it (the rifle has a polymer finish rather than blue).

The positioning of the recoil slots mean that the distance between the rear edge of the rear mount and the front edge of the front mount is 5.44 inches (Badger mounts).

But...the scope I wish to mount only has 5.06 inches of mounting area.

Options I'm considering:

1. Buy Warne mounts; attach rear mount further forward, but without its recoil lug. -would this work in accuracy/maintenance of zero terms?

2. Cut extra recoil slot in rear base. -are the Warne bases too soft for this (because of their sintered manufacture)?

3. Find and buy a one piece 30mm mount that is 5 inches long, fits weaver bases and is around 0.88inches high (if such a thing exists?!)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

[ 07-14-2004: Message edited by: Brown Dog ]
Old 07-14-2004, 10:49 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Not wildly exiting- but please help! Recoil Slots Too Far Apart To Mount Scope

Weaver makes extended rings for just such a situation (that is if you have a weaver/picatinny type base)

JB
Old 07-15-2004, 04:32 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Not wildly exiting- but please help! Recoil Slots Too Far Apart To Mount Scope

If I understand your question (which I might not exactly) why cant you have the rings ground to be thinner. It aounds like you only need .040" removed to make the scope fit.

Surface grinding should be simple enough for any machine shop. Heck, take it to the nearest college that has a machining program and have them do it. It will be much cheaper than a regular "job shop" if they are in session during the summer.
Old 07-15-2004, 11:02 PM
Writers Guild

I would go with option 2 as it will be stronger then option 1. I have never liked extended rings but they will also work.

The other option is to get a scope with a longer tube.

I guess trying to remove the bases would damage the finish? If not, replace one of the bases to fit.

Jerry
Old 07-20-2004, 05:38 AM
Bronze Member

Brown Dog,

I have a pair of Warne's on my Sako which has no recoil lugs. They have kept zero fine since fitted in March. The rifle is a 243. I also have a pair of warnes on a BRNO 19mm dovetail that has no recoil lugs. That (6mm rem)has kept zero over 2years and day in day out hunting. The sling once came detached, the rifle falling 4' onto the ground - zero unaffected.

Great mounts.