Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

new version of the loaders archive

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2006, 11:47 AM

Re: new version of the loaders archive

Just ordered my copy. Was wondering if other reticles were in the works such as the Ballistic Plex and Ballistic Mil-Dot. What about custom reticles including different Duplex reticles.

Also, what about allowing for changing the zoom of a scope? If my mil-dot is accurate at 10x I'd still like to be able to shoot at 16x.

I apologize if any of these questions have been answered already. I didn't see any of these things in the trial version.
Old 04-16-2006, 02:55 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Thank you for your support!

Ballistic Plex and Ballistic mil-dots are inline for the next version along with some other features.

I have been kicking around the idea of interfacing a power setting correction for the reticle optimizer. Not sure yet if I am going to do this or not but it will most likely happen. If it does, it will also be on the next version.

As far as custom reticles, it is possible to do. I havent got into that because a custom reticle is for 1 or 2 people. I would concider making a custom one for a specifec user. I am not sure what I would charge for customizing a program specificaly for someone but it would be affordable.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 04-17-2006, 11:37 AM

I mainly meant that a duplex reticle with its additional 1 or 2 aiming points could be used. Even if it was user programmable for how many MOA they are from the center of the crosshair.

I'll be a very happy camper when you get those Burris reticles up on there.

Even happier if you do the power correction. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 04-17-2006, 05:03 PM
Platinum Member

I was in the works for quite a while making a blank template that was just crosshairs and up to 15 hold overs. Users selected how many holdovers they wanted and what the MOA values were and how ever many holdovers that was selected was all that was displayed. It kind of died out due to the imense amount of labor and headache that went into it. Its much easier to just interface a reticle with known hold over points. Plus the graphics are MUCH better.

Burris reticles are definatly going to come in time. I cant honestly say when but it will be this year. Most likley by August or September. Depending on the support of other shooters/hunters possibly much sooner.

I have also decided that the power setting correction will happen also. It may be January before that version comes out.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 04-18-2006, 08:21 PM
Bronze Member

I'd like to express my interest on the burris reticle plus the power correction, that would be a very welcome tool!!

Cdog
Old 04-18-2006, 09:17 PM
Platinum Member

Cdog,

I am glad you expressed your interest. I think some here have missed the point. I am trying to develop the best possible tool here for me and others. This month has been a golden opprotunity for other shooters voice what they want and need.

Obviously, some things are just too complex to interface in this short amount of time, and will have to be included in the next major overhaul.

Several ideas of other shooters and tools have been added scince this latest version's intro. Can and want to do more but getting feedback out of most users is not happining. The percent of users in relation to # of downloads is VERY small.

Basically, upgrades are going to happen on the next version in the order of demand. So far, (aside from key functioning features) better picture importing, metric and burris reticles are to be first.

Thanks again!
Old 04-19-2006, 07:25 AM
Silver Member

Meichele, congratulations on not only your product but your attitude as well. I can only see success in the future for you. As one programmer to another, please take the necessary time to doucment EVERY change as this and all software coutinues to be work in progress. Too many times small undoucmented changes come back to bite you where it hurts the most.