Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

new version of the loaders archive

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2006, 11:54 PM

new version of the loaders archive

I think it was metioned already about metric. I agree. A program of this caliber should have the option to use metric. Other than that its not bad. It looks cool and incorporates alot of neat ideas. I had used crack shot I think thats what it was called, and this one has vastly improved over it. To be blunt, the crack shot version was useful and a great idea yet lacked functionality. The reticle optimizer in this version is a dream. It does take out all the guess work. I dont know that I personaly have a need for some of the other features like the barrel life alylizer and putting pictuers in it I most likely wouldnt do and such but as far as the exterior ballistics aspect of it I would give it an A-. I would give it an A+ if it also used metric.

Just curious, why do certain fields change colors depending on if something is entered in it or differant colors are used for others???
Old 03-31-2006, 02:02 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska
Re: new version of the loaders archive

Thank you very much for your input. Yes I have it on the list for the next version to include the metric system. Seems like several guys would like to use the metric system. If you can live without all the xtras I do have another version that only has 3 pages on the main form. It holds rifle, load, and velocity correction between chrony and muzzle and then the ballistics form which is identical. It also utilizes the BC look up and calc and also has the reticle analyizing form and zero changes. Some other stuff too but its a much trimmer and scaled down version.

As far as colors in the fields I assume you are refering to the angle of fire box and windage direction box. I have the angle of fire box change from a white back ground to a blue one as a visual aid to help me remember that there is something entered in that box. Many times I have calculated and printed ballistics and forgot something was entered there and wondered why my drop figures werent right. I added that to prevent any more mistakes.

The wind direction box is either white for 6 oclock and 12 oclock and red for a right hand wind and lime green for a left hand wind. L for lime and left and R for red or right. Once again just a visual aid. You also cannot enter 0, or anything that uses a negative or any number above 12 in wind direction. If you do the program automaticaly changes high numbers to 12 and low (0 or lower) numbers to 1.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 04-02-2006, 06:40 PM
Silver Member

I have been fooling around with this program all day. It is a very comprehensive program and it is relatively easy to use. I have always used Point Blank and have never had any problems. This program (Loaders Archive) is much more in detail and has some things Point Blank doesn't offer. I think this would be a great program with the before mentioned fixes (metric conversion, primarily). I would give the overall program an A. The price of the updates, when they are made available, will determine if it is A+ or A- [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Nice program, Michael. I'll be in touch
Old 04-02-2006, 07:56 PM
Platinum Member

Thank you for your positive comments! I welcome not so positive comments as well.

Remember, it is now set up so that an installer package has been added that will set up a desktop icon automatically. Also the runtime program has been seperated from the download file. This allows users to download the runtime program, install it and then download my setup program (which now takes a fraction of the time) and allows them to install my program. Also it is set up now so that when you install my program and you want to view what changes have been made by installing a "upgrade" that I will email users that wish to keep up with the changes, they will be able to install this and NOT loose their records and changes to their records. This will only take effect after the next time it is installed. In other words, if you installed it before 4-2-06 and installed the latest on 4-2-06 or later, it will wipe out your records. After that point, installing a new one will not wipe out your records.

A major change is listed below:

A range card maker has been added. It will generate cards based on either standard atmospheric conditions or sight in conditions. It will print (on the same page) a rectancular card (about the size of a buisness card) and a round card. 1 or both could be cut out. The card could be taped to the stock and the round one will fit inside most rear lens flip covers. The latest trial has been uploaded and includes the range card generator.

Thanks again!
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 04-03-2006, 05:16 PM

Was playing with this program this weekend and am scratching my head on the spin drift feature. When the clock is set to 6 or 12oclock, the windage reads 0 all the way down dispite have checked the option to include spin drift in calculations. Am I doing something wrong?? Or is this how it is to be? Other than that, I like it. Will be downloading the next one with the range cards.
Old 04-03-2006, 06:27 PM
Platinum Member

Good catch!

Yes you are correct. This was a mistake I caught Saturday. This HAS been fixed. The spin drift worked, but only with a number in the clock other than 6 or 12. Also humidity was added to the calculations in the reticle optimizer. If I havent mentioned it already, a range card maker was also added.

These changes have been installed into an installer package and uploaded already. Tomarrow a third link will be added to the web page for "updates". This will allow users to update the latest trial version daily without loosing any saved information they have created. This will only work for users who downloaded the program on 4-2-2006 at or about 2PM or later. Otherwise you will have to download the full version (again, and it will wipe out any saved data) and then from there on out any changes wont be wiped out during an installation of the update.
Old 04-15-2006, 08:28 PM
Platinum Member

Just finished up USO's GAP and IOR's MP8. The latest is not uploaded yet. It maybe in a couple of days.

Screen Shots are below.