Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

New Stock.....DBM or NOT?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2014, 08:15 PM
Silver Member

New Stock.....DBM or NOT?

After a ton of reading and researching I've narrowed down my stock to the McMillan A5. Next decision is do I do the DBM or just keep the BDL? Would like opinions for people who have one or the other and what you shoot and why you feel one is better. Or is it just personal preference?
Thanks
Old 03-12-2014, 11:27 PM
Silver Member

Re: New Stock.....DBM or NOT?

DBM.

You have more options with a DBM versus a BDL.

Your weapon is easier to clear and you have a more definitive indication with the bolt and magazine removed of a clear weapon.

It's easier change ammo also by shifting mags too.

The only draw back is good magazines are expensive.

DocB

"History does not long trust the care of freedom to the weak or timid" Dwight David Eisenhower
Sic Semper Tyrannis...Veritas et Aequitas

Old 03-13-2014, 06:16 AM
Platinum Member

Any recommendation on an easy to install DBM. I have a short action rem 700 I'm having barreled up in 6.5 Creedmoor and I want to convert it. I haven't bought a stock yet either, the old one broke and it's a BDL and the BDL looks a bit old and rusted, do I think I'll go DBM. I would like a mag system that gets close to being flush to the bottom of the stock. My savage has such a system, but how about Remington? Any recommendations welcomed. I'm just getting into doing a little of my own gunsmithing I uess.
Old 03-13-2014, 04:31 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocB View Post
DBM.

You have more options with a DBM versus a BDL.

Your weapon is easier to clear and you have a more definitive indication with the bolt and magazine removed of a clear weapon.

It's easier change ammo also by shifting mags too.

The only draw back is good magazines are expensive.

DocB

+1 on what DocB says. Especially if you have the rifle in and out of a vehicle 2 or 3 times a day. I never carry a loaded rifle in a vehicle, with one in the chamber or not.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:46 PM
Platinum Member

My hunting carry rifle is bdl. Fits in a scabbard for horse back. My hand cradles rifle right at that balance point for when I am at the ready. I have carried different loads and just drop one on top if needed for quick change. I dont mind a clip type in a system like browning abolt, that is flush,kinda best of both worlds. In my rig or range type I like DBM
Old 03-18-2014, 08:53 PM
Platinum Member

I wish all BDL's were like Brownings detachable mag/dbl. Oh well, maybe they have a patent on it, it is slick though.