Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

New Rifle rest with Pics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2008, 11:45 PM
Platinum Member

New Rifle rest with Pics

well I finaly finished my prototype heavy duty bench rest , it gonna be phase one of a two part system , the entire top assembly will be transfered to a big tripod type setup that ALOT lighter in weight and hopefully just as steady but desgined for F-class shooting , the Idea comes from a rest that a Great guy built for another member here "eddybo"

Well here is the Bench rest part of the equasion , its probably WAY over built but what the hell can't be to big right , its all either 316L stainless steel or 7075 Aluminum , it weighs in at 28lbs , all that left is to desgine the top for the bags.

Old 01-03-2008, 01:03 AM
Silver Member

Very Nice James,

It certainly looks robust!

Vic
Old 01-04-2008, 11:18 PM
Silver Member

Looks like the beginings of a masterpiece, your skills are admireable.
Old 01-04-2008, 11:25 PM
Silver Member

I like those knobs.

SES50
Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference. - George Washington

Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.' -Unknown
Old 01-05-2008, 12:18 AM
Bronze Member

man that looks nice!!
Old 01-05-2008, 01:09 AM
Platinum Member

That puny lil thing Wait till you see some of the rest those unlimited guys use on rail guns. It is looking great. I hear that there is a decent annodizer in your area. Are you going that direction or just gonna polish er up? Overkill....what the heck is that.....not in my vocabulary
Old 01-05-2008, 01:39 AM
Platinum Member

I have been looking at some rest all over the web and some of those things look like they should have an M-2 mounted on them. I have decided that I'm just gonna use a Sinclair windage top instead of making my own , either Sinclair or Bald Eagle.

here is the F-class part of the duo , it uses the same adjustment post so all that required is just loosening the short knob and pulling the post out and dropping it in the tripod. the tripod measures 5.750" from tyhe ground with the claws sunk in to the top of the post then add another 1.5-2" for the bag , it may be a bit to high unless your using a tall bunny ear bag so the real deal is gonna have some improvements , the Radius of the tripod rest is 16".

As for having it painted or anodized I'm not sure , like I said these are just mock ups for a real build up. Allthe cuts on both of these were realy fast so their is a good deal of tool marks none of which coulded be knocked off with some 180 grit. I may have them coated of somthing and try to sell them later . The tool marks you see in the base plate are mearly smudges it feels smooth as glass when you run your finger accross it , I was setting up a new Orion CNC and decided to make a couple quick passes to see what it would do. , that was done with a 2.5" , 6 tooth facing mill running at 6000 rpms and 70 inches of feed per min with no coolant , we installed a plate to bolt partes to so that the T slots werent needed and when we made the final passes to square it up we ran the mill at 13,000 rpms 30" fpm with a 1000 psi vapor coolant purge , the finish was as bright as crome !! this tool is simply awsome but for a bit over 2 million dollars it better be , now if we can jst get te programers to get their stuff together!!

well here are a coiuple pics of the tripod/F-class rest