Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

New long range walkie-talkies ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2009, 10:03 PM
Platinum Member

Re: New long range walkie-talkies ?

esshup, will do. In the meantime, JE Custom tested a pair of the Midland "26" mile radios this past weekend in rough terrain. Maybe he'll jump in.

Tom

A big fast bullet will beat a little fast bullet every time
Old 01-08-2009, 11:39 PM
Platinum Member

Re: New long range walkie-talkies ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by specweldtom View Post
esshup, will do. In the meantime, JE Custom tested a pair of the Midland "26" mile radios this past weekend in rough terrain. Maybe he'll jump in.

Tom

Well I did some testing and this is what I found out.

I bought the GXT 750 VPS , Midland .

They worked very well under hunting conditions and the features that I liked were, call
alerts with animal sounds because they did not spook game when calling other hunters
and they were more natural than beeps or ring tones. ( I used the turkey call and
the crow call ).

The NOAA weather alert was also a great feature and easy to use. We had some severe
weather changes and this feature kept us informed as to what was happening.

As to range, Where we hunt it is very hilly and there is lots of thick brush and trees ,And as
long as we stay'ed on level ground range was very good.

With two mountains between us and on different levels range was cut to 2 and 1/2 miles.

I did not get to test on flat ground ( Line of site ) to see what they will do but I feel that
if used in mountains with line of site ( No major obstructions ) they will work fine for 8 to
10 miles.

The GXT 750 is rated 7.5 watts and 26 miles and under optimum conditions they may work
that far but untill I can test that out I'm not so sure about that.

I am very happy with these walkie talkies and would recomend them or the better models
( more wattage ) for hunting.

I hope this helped
J E CUSTOM