Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

New Bore Cleaner ( I Think )

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2006, 02:09 AM
Bronze Member

New Bore Cleaner ( I Think )

Just got a bottle of "Bore Tech" "Eliminator" this weekend. I think it may be the next Coppermelt. Bottle says contains no ammonia, and there is no strong odor. Instructions Follow:
1. Wet 2 to 3 patches with Eliminator and push through bore to remove any loose fouling. Only push patches through in one direction. Do not pull patches back through the barrel.

2. Make 10 to 15 passes with a tight fitting NYLON bore brush saturated with Eliminator.

3. Repeat step 1 and wait 3 to 5 minutes.

4. Push dry patches through the bore untill they come out clean.

5. Before storing firearm, dampen a patch with Eliminator and push through the bore.

6. Before using firearm, always run a dry patch through the bore. This will remove any residue and ensure against obstructions.

I followed 1 through 5 and got a clean patch, pushed several dry patches through, then followed with Coppermelt and got nothing, completely white patch. I'm not saying it's better than Coppermelt, but so far, I believe it's just as good. 16 oz. bottle was $25.00 at the local gun shop Vs. $31.95 for 3.5 oz Coppermelt.
Old 01-23-2006, 10:58 AM
Platinum Member

Re: New Bore Cleaner ( I Think )

Tried it 2 yrs ago. Will not take out carbon/copper layers that most barrels have. Read the Jan Precision shooting article on that very thing and best cleaners as proven by borescopes.

W/O borescope it is wild speculation if a cleaner works or not.

Borescoped my HG at the Nationals AFTER cleaning with Eliminator for that year. Patches were clean but bore had lot of copper.

15 minutes later with Montana Extreme 50 BMG, bore was clean and proven with borescope.

Finally it peeled the coating off my Boretech rods.

Staying with BMG and Dewey rods for now.

BH
Old 01-23-2006, 04:01 PM
Silver Member

[ QUOTE ]
Read the Jan Precision shooting article on that very thing and best cleaners as proven by borescopes.

BH

[/ QUOTE ]

What Bore Cleaner did P.S. recommend as BEST from their findings, my subscription ran out and I haven't resubscribed yet?!? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
.35 Whelen
6mm Ackley
7mm BR
6mm PPC

"Sic Semper Tyrannus"
Old 01-23-2006, 04:13 PM
Platinum Member

The best cleaner for carbon layers was Slip200TM. His tests report carbon and copper are actually layered in a bore and have to cut both carbon and copper in each layer. One thing normally does carbon and another does copper.

He also liked Eliminator but they would not say what he tested it against. However, the 1k guys were using Eliminator when it came out 2 yrs ago and not many are with it now. ME 50 BMG sure beat the heck out of Eliminator in my guns and others and that was documented with borescopes.

You can google precision shooting magazine and when web comes up click on the Jan issue, click on that and the article comes up.

BH
Old 01-24-2006, 12:22 PM
Silver Member

[ QUOTE ]

You can google precision shooting magazine and when web comes up click on the Jan issue, click on that and the article comes up.

BH

[/ QUOTE ]

THANKS!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
.35 Whelen
6mm Ackley
7mm BR
6mm PPC

"Sic Semper Tyrannus"