Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

New APS XP-100 arrive yesterday!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2006, 04:24 AM
Platinum Member

Re: New APS XP-100 arrive yesterday!!

SWEET looking rig, and what a performer Dan. Looks kinda like mine (mine's a Pac-Nor tho). I was having some real problems with the stock on mine as it's 1 of the older HS's, and couldn't handle the torque especially with the bipod on it, but that's been taken care of recently, and it's shooting great now (had to fix it twice). One of the problems i was having was parallax, and once i figured it out i shot a .75" gp. with the same load that was shooting 2", and went hunting. Watch your parallax with that scope. Mine gave me problems. Make sure you recalibrate the parallax before shooting at the longer ranges. I was getting great success with my rig out to around 750 yds. which was where i stopped with the A-Max.

Tell u what-- a writeup on that rig for Handgun Hunter sure would be neat to read about (hint, hint). Would blow the doors off ANYTHING that's ever been written about handguns so far.
Old 08-31-2006, 04:51 AM
Silver Member

[ QUOTE ]
I was having some real problems with the stock on mine as it's 1 of the older HS's, and couldn't handle the torque especially with the bipod on it, but that's been taken care of recently, and it's shooting great now (had to fix it twice).

[/ QUOTE ]

HUH?!?! My stock is one of the early HS's also! What was the problem you were having?? I anticipated bipod/mounting stud problems and sort of fixed that before a problem could exist...by installing a piece of 1/4" aluminim plate on the bottom of the stock then epoxied and screwed it to the stock and mounted the sling stud through the plate. If you look at the gun pic at the top of the first post (specifically the bipod mounting point), you'll see the forearm looks kinda funny. Well...this is why! But what were your problems???
Old 08-31-2006, 05:25 AM
Platinum Member

Amazing-- that is exactly what was done to mine-- BUT it was after the fact. It had already developed a hairline fracture right thru the stud-- BUT i did not have any problems until i started shooting the 200 Wildcat. Could be the 200 (and 7 twist) gave enuf addtl. torque to cause the problem that didn't develop until after i started shooting that bullet.

Dan, have u run your figures across a ballistic sprogram to get downrange stadia zeros? I just did, and u're not gonna believe how well they fit the reticle-- with a 250 zero @ 2825mv, 1000 ft elevation, 45*, Exbal calc'd 306, 406, 498, and 600 yds. WOW!! Should be 1 great system!
Old 08-31-2006, 08:14 AM
SPONSOR

I know it will be awesome huting, but I also look forward to hearing your report when you take on some rifles at the comps you were doing earlier [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
You have an option now to really do well in the wind.
Old 09-01-2006, 05:55 AM
Silver Member

Steve...I have a story better than that. I got a NEW HS stock (arrived nearly two months after the stated completion date)...inletted it for the XP handle and safety then sent it back for paint. It was promptly returned. When I opened the box, the grip sling stud looked loose so I went to snug it (by finger) and it fell out...the hole was completely stripped out. I called and they said send it back. But I finishedassembly of the gun (.222 Rem Mag Imp) to make sure everything else was ok. I attached the bipod and snugged the screw (again by finger) and the forearm cracked the same way you describe!! I sent it back about four weeks ago and still do not have it back. Good thing I snagged the early HS stock for the APS gun or I'd be up a creek!

Ernie...yes!! I can not wait. I was smoking those rifle toters in the 100 relays and still hanging with them in the 300yd relays...all the while shooting a .222 Remmy and .222 Rem Mag Imp handguns! At 500yds they were kicking my arse though...doubt that will be a problem now!
Old 09-04-2006, 10:11 AM
Platinum Member

Interesting story Dan-- i can't believe how soft those HS's are. Pretty insightful u put the reinforcement in the forend, before the fact. Nice rig u got there sir. Sure be nice if u could come out with us and hunt elk. 3 APS handguns--WOW!!! U know there's probably still some addtl. cow permits avaailable.