Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Need some Muzzle Break advice.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2013, 11:54 AM
Bronze Member

Need some Muzzle Break advice.

Whoa, Whoa, Whoa... Before you beat me up too bad I already tried the Search function. (newbie on this forum, not forums in general.) Although I found many good threads on breaks I am seeking info for the .338 RUM specifically. I hunt every species of game I can get a tag for here in AZ. I am fairly new to long range shooting. I recently finished building a Remington 700 chambered in .257 Wby. I have used this rifle to wrapped my head around turrets and MOA adjustments. dopping wind etc. I shoot it really well out to about 750yds. Since I have "proved" to myself this long range hunting is something I believe I can get a handle on and achieve I decided to purchase a rifle with a little longer range potential than the .257. After a lengthy debate on a cartridge choice I ultimately decided on the .338 RUM. Not just any rifle but I specifically wanted a Rem. 700 Sendero to start with. Long story short, I purchased one last week. It will be here this afternoon. It already has a Shrewd muzzle break on it. I have been told Vias is the way to go. I will be shooting prone and would also like options for an effective break with no ports in the bottom.

Thanks,
Speedy.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:18 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Need some Muzzle Break advice.

There are a lot of great muzzle brakes but Vias is not one of them IMO, you couldn't pay me to shoot a rifle with one on it again. On three 338 RUM's I've used the Muscle brake on two and a factory tapered one a Hollands, both work great and don't blow stuff all over the place.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 02-28-2013, 12:53 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
There are a lot of great muzzle brakes but Vias is not one of them IMO, you couldn't pay me to shoot a rifle with one on it again. On three 338 RUM's I've used the Muscle brake on two and a factory tapered one a Hollands, both work great and don't blow stuff all over the place.
Bigngreen,
Thank you for your response. I will look into those. Any input on how the Shrewd
break that is already on it might work? This will be my first rifle with a break so I really have nothing to compare it to.

Thanks,
Speedy.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:26 PM
Platinum Member

I've never used a Shrewd but searching them it looks like they are a hole style brake, some have the bottoms solid so they don't blow up dust as bad but I don't like any hole style brake, the brake that are built with baffles are far better IMO.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 02-28-2013, 01:27 PM
Silver Member

I had this same question not more than a couple of months ago. I shoot prone with a 338 RUM as well and looked into a number of very good breaks. The one I choose is made by Steve Pratt of Elk Meadow Performance. They are made of titanium which makes them lite, and very very efficient. The best thing I love about them is that there are no ports on the bottom which translates into no dirt and snow in your eyes or scope. I really love these breaks. They are the first and last I will ever buy. Look him up. He is the nicest person you can possibly meet.

Last edited by Doublezranch; 02-28-2013 at 02:41 PM.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:46 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doublezranch View Post
I had this same question not more than a couple of months ago. I shoot prone with a 338 RUM as well and looked into a number of very good breaks. The one I choose is made by Steve Pratt of Meadow Creek Performance. They are made of titanium which makes them lite, and very very efficient. The best thing I love about them is that there are no ports on the bottom which translates into no dirt and snow in your eyes or scope. I really love these breaks. They are the first and last I will ever buy. Look him up. He is the nicest person you can possibly meet.
Do you have a link or contact number for Mr. Pratt? A quick google search revieled nothing for either Steve Pratt or Meadow Creek Performance.

Thank you.
Speedy.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:53 PM
Silver Member

Here is the link.

Elk Meadow Performance - Home