Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Need a New Priming Tool: Which One to Buy?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2002, 01:16 PM
Silver Member

Need a New Priming Tool: Which One to Buy?

Need to buy a new priming tool. I was using a Lee before and would like something with a tray so I do not have to handle each primer separately. What is everyone using or wished the were using?
Old 12-26-2002, 02:41 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Need a New Priming Tool: Which One to Buy?

Troy,
I use the RCBS handheld that takes the APS plastic primer strips and it is pretty good. Has a universal caseholder, don't have to switch anything. Also have the benchmounted APS tool and the one that takes primer tubes both are fine but not handheld and they take shell holders. I use the handheld much more. Loading the APS strips is simple and doesn't take much time. They might take a little more time to set-up than a primer tray but not a lot.
Sinclair makes a super little unit but it is one primer at a time. I have worn out two or three Lees, seem to break after a certain amount of use and that is that. Damn potmetal can only do so much.
The RCBS is holding up much longer than I got out of the Lees. I also had a machinist make me a handheld stainless steel rig that uses the Lee trays, it will last forever, nice feel and heavy, takes Lee shell holder heads. If you are ever over here give me a shout.
Old 12-26-2002, 06:27 PM
Silver Member

K & M makes a good one--double punch sleeve squares the head up and seating stem seats primer, head completely adjustable for depth, uses Lee auto-prime shell holders--$40. Probably last forever.
Old 12-26-2002, 09:07 PM

Troy

I like the Sinclair unit, it is very well made and give me better feel than the other units. It is more expensive, but a joy to use. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-26-2002, 09:23 PM
Bronze Member

Si, if I may...

I have been looking at the Sinclair model off and on for some time, but have had the big drawback over single-primer feeding. Can you perhaps tell me, in you opinion, how MUCH of a pain is it? Does it really slow a fellow down that much? I would like more sensitivity of feel; the RCBS unit I have now is ok; it IS fast, but...particularly with small rifle primers, I am not getting optimum results, I feel. Thanks much.

Dave
Old 12-26-2002, 09:28 PM

DAVE

My best guess is it slows me down about 5 seconds a case, and you would have to be the judge on whether that is a lot or a little. I will say that the 'Feel' is second to none.
Old 12-26-2002, 10:27 PM
Silver Member

Always nice to come back to the computer and have several responses to a question. I will have to give my options some thought. I really do not like the idea of single priming although I am aware of the added safety feature. I have never had a primer detonate while seating and I hope I never do. I never put a bunch of primers on the tray at once but I am sure ten primers would be enough to seriously harm an individual. Thanks to all who replied.

All the best in the New Year.