Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

need mcmillan stock style help A3 or A5

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2014, 07:54 PM

need mcmillan stock style help A3 or A5

Hi going to purchase a mcmillan for my Rem700 243 SPS Varmit but im not fortunate enough to shoulder one in person and having to wait 8 months after putting deposit down need any advice or help on the style. The rifle is mounted with a nightforce 5.5-22x50 MOAR and will be used for spot lighting foxes using a bipod or backpack. Then I might go goat pig hunting which might require lying down with a bipod or standing position against a tree. The A3 sporter was recommended by the dealer down here but my concern is with the drop in the butt designed for quick shouldering shots will the butt be too low on the shoulder with a nightforce 5.5-22x50 lying down shots compared to the A5 and would the adjustable cheek piece be worth adding?. I will have a sling on it as well for hiking as required. I will use this calibre for 400-500 yard shots and maybe farther as I get it tuned. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 07-13-2014, 08:02 PM
Gold Member

Re: need mcmillan stock style help A3 or A5

The most obvious difference between the A3 and A5, IMO, is the dropped toe of the A5. If you're going to use a rear bag at any time that dropped toe helps guide the stock straight back. Otherwise I don't see that there's enough difference between them to matter much.
I used the A5 for tactical and hunting and it serves both purposes very well.

American riflemans triad - God, guts and guns. It built America and it'll preserve America. Abandon one and you lose them all.
Old 07-14-2014, 06:44 AM
Gold Member

I have two A3 sporters, They work well from either the holding position or from a bag, have not tried it off a bipod but really don't see any problems there either. The standard A3 would not lend it self from a standing position. One of mine is the edge which takes off .4 lbs which helps while standing.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:07 AM

thanks for the replies so far. Truc do you have the latest style A3 sporter. Mcmillians website only shows an A3 with a straight comb butt, but I thought there was a newer verson of the A3 which is similar in style to a weatherby stock with the raised cheek piece for a remington or have I got it wrong? thanks
Old 07-14-2014, 12:39 PM
Gold Member

The A3 Sporter is not like the A3, It is not a raised cheek piece like on a Mountain rifle, but a raised center that would lead to being either left or right hand depending on the cut for the bolt. Sort of like McMillans Varmint stock. Hope this makes sense to you, if not I can take a pic of it and post it, just let me know
Old 07-14-2014, 01:45 PM

Thanks truc, had to think about it for a minute but totally understand what your saying. I dont like asking people for help but if its not too much trouble is there any chance you could show a pic of one of your A3 sporters please. I will do a search on the forum for more info. Man I hate putting down money blind
Old 07-14-2014, 03:03 PM
Gold Member

First thing is you need to decide what type of shooting you will be doing, if it is all long range from a Bipod and never from free hand then Maybe the A3 is better suited but if there is some free hand then the A3 Sporter does both. I made the mistake of trying to go cheap on this rifles first stock and that ended up costing me more. If you want to cut weight like I did with this rifle I chose the Edge version. Rifle weighs without scope 8.5 lbs which is 1 lb less than it did with the first stock. I'm using a VX6 2x12x42 instead of a tactical scope. I like the scope as the eye relief does not change with power adjustments

need mcmillan stock style help A3 or A5-img_1729.jpg