Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Need help choosing a hunting knife

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2014, 09:18 PM
Gold Member

Re: Need help choosing a hunting knife

For fine skinning work like a bull caribou's face where a shovel is nearly touching its face I prefer my yellow handle Case Trapper folder. Its easy to get it scalple sharp and is easy on the hand, easy to use. Mine has the 3 1/2" blade.

Contrary to what some guys say I like a really big knife for some jobs like taking the quarters off. Taking the ribs off and especially the head. I don't have to have my knife hand in the blood much.
Old 06-21-2014, 11:56 PM
Platinum Member

I have a handfull of drop point customs, but packing like my Strider folder
Old 07-30-2014, 08:21 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Lindsey View Post
Anza Knives

See these guys at the gun shows quite a bit. I have one (though has not been bloodied). Made of old files.
I picked up an Anza F-3 while I was in Colorado about 10 years ago. This knife has been through a butt load of hogs and a bunch of deer and hopefully in 2015 it will get a little elk blood on it. This knife has held up amazingly and a quick stroke on a steel and its right there ready to tackle another critter. They are made with files and I thought that they would be on the brittle side, and I will say they're anything but. It handles very well. I am very satisfied with this knife, and its not overly expensive for a custom quality knife that is intended to be used and abused.