Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Need help choosing a hunting knife

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2013, 09:48 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Need help choosing a hunting knife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman98 View Post
Would a havalon piranta be big enough for moose?
Absolutely plus Havalon (Havel Surgical Instruments) offers other blade designs other than the usual Piranta style on their website.

They are stupid sharp. Problem is (and I've found) that they don't cut around bone very well, they are brittle and if you deform the blade, it breaks, but for field dressing, it can't be beat but you nbeed another knife for boning. I just carry an Old Timer or a Buck 110.

And Havalon's are cheap plus Len sells them here on the attached store. I think the Piranta conmes with 10 extra baldes and a ballistic sheath for less than 50 bucks. A herlluva deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightflight View Post
Havalon. Never sharpen a knife again.

Edit: I know Havalon is a folding Knife. Maybe get one in addition to the fixed blade that you choose to go with. =)
+10. So sharp you can cut a finger off and not know it....until you jnotice it's gone...
Old 07-16-2013, 09:51 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman98 View Post
Would a havalon piranta be big enough for moose?
I have the Baracuta which is a little longer and thicker blade. I have only used it on Mule deer but it is great. Best part is when it starts to get dull you just put a new blade on in seconds.

Piranta is a little smaller but I think I'm going to get one of those too and give it a try. Mostly due to the cost of replacement blades. $15 for 5 baracuta blades vs. $5-$10 for a dozen Piranta. The blades aren't interchangeable between the two dues to the thickness.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:15 AM
Platinum Member

The tihing to always keep in mind with any Havalon (Havell) knife is, it's a surgical scapel with a means to lock it securely into a handle, whether a small folder or something else (Havel makes rigid handles but there is no practical way to carry one).

The folder makes it safe to carry. Always respect the blade. Being a scapel, it's stupid sharp, sharper than any conventional blade can be honed or stropped to at home. Never try the 'shave your arm hair' scenario with a Havalon. It will immediately cut your epidermis, thats what it's designed to do.

The cutting edge is machine ground and stropped. While you could theroitically attain a similar edge at home on a conventional knife, it would take hours and using it would dull it almost immediately, one reason Havel makes the blades replaceable. Their's dull too.

The blade steel is imported from Japan (I believe it's Nippon surgical grade)

Use the Havalon for meat (tissue) cutting and sectioning and a conventional blade for deboning and you'll be good to go. Just watch your digits when using a Havalon.
Old 06-14-2014, 12:02 AM
Bronze Member

Hi
Anyone use the old Gerber flayer?
I have read somewhere that the owner could skin 2 moose with it without sharpening in between.
Anyone use the Grohmann pelt skinner model G100 I believe
Anyone use the new Raptor Razors. My son has bought a set but hasn't used them yet. They feel really good in hand. Man size.
Cheers
hjl
Old 06-15-2014, 10:14 PM
Silver Member

Knives of Alaska Alpha Wolf D2 - Sportsman's Warehouse I love this knife but only used it two years, its also made of different steel.
Old 06-17-2014, 11:21 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 338 bruce View Post
Knives of Alaska Alpha Wolf D2 - Sportsman's Warehouse I love this knife but only used it two years, its also made of different steel.
KOA's are mostly all I own for hunting knives/saws, including the Alpha Wolf. They work great and keep an edge if you don't abuse them.

I own a couple of Cold Steel tactical knives I bought for "fun" and really like them too...very sharp from factory!!

Been looking at the Havalon knives too, and will probably have one in the near future.

Any way you go, these three MFC's are a guaranteed good knife @ a reasonable price compared to custom knives.
Old 06-17-2014, 01:54 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 338 bruce View Post
KOA's are mostly all I own for hunting knives/saws, including the Alpha Wolf. They work great and keep an edge if you don't abuse them.

I own a couple of Cold Steel tactical knives I bought for "fun" and really like them too...very sharp from factory!!

Been looking at the Havalon knives too, and will probably have one in the near future.

Any way you go, these three MFC's are a guaranteed good knife @ a reasonable price compared to custom knives.