Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Need Chronograph help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2010, 12:47 PM
Gold Member

Need Chronograph help

Hey guys. I know nothing about chronos. Never owned one. I would like to have one for load development. I see a ton on ebay in the $80 range. Would this be sufficient? I am sure that like anything else I could probably spend whatever I want on it, but I just want a basic unit. No need for a printer. I can write it down and therefore one less thing to break. Also, what is the difference between all this alpha and beta stuff that I see? Thanks in advance for the advice.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:00 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Need Chronograph help

Iím by no means a chronograph or ballistic expert but have owned a Ced M2 for a couple years and am very satisfied with its performance. I shoot through it all the time as I have a range right here and I have never got a reading that I thought was bogus even though I donít have the infrared screens. The Ced has the ability to connect to your computer which I use exclusively. If you ever need to go back and look at a string itís right there with your notes. I use to write things down but that really sucksÖ..

The one thing I donít like about it is the way it mounts to the tripod. It uses a typical camera connection and the result is that itís just really flimsy and can see a problem down the road with it in that respect. I paid around 200 bucks and have no regrets.

Everyone talks about the Oehler 35 which I guess is the best but at 600 bucks itís not practical for me. I think you get what you pay for when it comes to a chronograph.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 10-21-2010, 12:05 PM
Gold Member

Re: Need Chronograph help

Thanks for the advice. I will definately keep it in mind.