Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

My Project Savage .338/.300RUM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2005, 10:18 AM
Bronze Member

My Project Savage .338/.300RUM

Well its almost complete. But some pics in the meantime.
My Rifle
Old 06-19-2005, 12:34 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Re: My Project Savage .338/.300RUM

mkf350,

Nice looking rifle, bet she will be a hammer for sure.

If this Savage was orignially a RUM chambered receiver, please keep a close eye on the barrel lock nut. I have seen these actually crack on the RUM chambered Savage rifles as the barrel shank is machined larger with the RUM chamberings. As such the barrel lock nut is thinner and if overtightened they can crack under the strain of shooting.

If this happens, not only will headspace increase which is certainly bad, but the recoil lug will loosen up as well as it is positioned between the receiver and the lock nut.

If this happens, the stock and everything will be beat to hell with in just a couple rounds and generally will ruin most of the rifle system.

It is for this reason that I remove this barrel lock nut system, especially on the RUM rounds and my Allen Magnum wildcats and fit the barrel via the Rem 700 design.

Just something to keep a VERY close eye on.

Let us know how she shoots.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 06-19-2005, 08:31 PM
Silver Member

Kirby i've been messing with savages alot and never heard about the barrel nuts cracking. Its always good to know about potential problems before they could happen. I have a 30-338 laupa imp on a savage with the standard size nut and have had excellent results with it. I will keep a eye on it. Do you think the regular barrel nut is stronger than the RUM and WSM larger nut size. I am always lookin for good info and you are a source for alot of it. Thanks Reed
Old 06-21-2005, 09:32 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Reed,

Yes the standard lock nut is significantly thicker then the RUM and WSM nut. I have never heard of a problem with the standard lug, ever. Not to say it could not happen if it was over tightened or something like that.

I have only heard of a few instances with the RUM barrel nuts but in two of those instances, the rifle was a total loss!

For that reason I simply get rid of the potential problem and chamber just as it was a Rem 700 receiver. Certainly not as easy to headspace but not hard in any way either.

If you do this though, remember to get a barrel with a shank diameter of 1.250". Do not use the smaller 1.200" shank diameters as they do not offer enough shoulder area in my opinion. They will work but the 1.250" is a better choice all around and most barrel makers offer this diameter.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com