Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

My new long range rig...nothing too fancy...w/pics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2006, 12:21 AM
Platinum Member

Re: My new long range rig...nothing too fancy...w/pics

I usually just select a primer, bullet, length combo and start towards the top, going in either .5g increments or 1g increments. I usually test at 100 yards for the smaller and medium calibers, and 200 for the RUM and bigger bullets. Once I find my best load at those distances, I take it to 300 then 500 to see if its still shooting at least MOA, then start shooting long range. Your powders and bullets should be fine. H1000 has been my favorite powder for my 300 RUM with bullets weighing from 150g-220g.
Old 03-22-2006, 12:25 AM
Platinum Member

with hunting bullets, for repeating, your just gonna have to go the max length of your magazine. FOr your remington it should be around 3.660-80" For single shot use with target bullets, it will be around 3.8" or longer, depending on your particular rifle and bullet used. I personally have a crony chronograph. Yah theres a lot of people that say there junk, but mine does all I want it to do. Tell me the velocity. its worked just fine for me for the 3 years I've had it. It does not work in low light conditions though and will give false readings if put to close to the muzzle. Other then that, it works fine and tells me what I want to know.
Old 03-22-2006, 12:42 AM
Gold Member

thanks for the info...

so you start working with powder changes, and the guy above start with seating depth. Is there one that is better than the other? what do most people do? I had been playing with powder first, but then was wondering if there was a better way...
I'll probably go ahead and shoot at 200 to start with, and my gun already seems to like the H-1000 better than the retumbo, but I havn't had enough time to determine that forsure. Is retumbo slower burning than h-1000? or what is the diff...

thanks again, any other opinions are welcome..thanks
Old 03-22-2006, 06:15 PM
Silver Member

My experience with retumbo has been that it's a great powder if you want as much speed as possible without regard to fps spread. Such as a 375 h&h or other big game rounds that only need at be minute o' cape buffalo. I'm keeping the 1/2 pound I have left from testing to use for fire forming my 338LM mag to AI specs when this barrel is shot out. H1000 will work for quite a few rounds and is exremely consistant. It's my fav magnum powder. Doesn't have the fastest speed- but makes tiny groups! I buy it 16 Lbs at a time.

Good Info From the guy who makes the best barrels in the world. (in my opinion)

Be kind to your neighbors... shoot quietly..
WWW.Gem-tech.com
WWW.Advanced-Armament.com
Old 03-27-2006, 12:11 PM
Silver Member

I also shoot a 300 rum, 700 CDL factory tube. my rifle prefers the 180 gr hornady interbond or nosler accubond. I use 95 gr of Retumbo for the hornady loads and 94.5 for the noslers. I have also found good loads with H1000 at 92.5 gr and am going to try some RL 22 and 25 out this summer. I am going to try them because the stick powder doesn't meater very well out of my piggy back powder measure.

At 100 yards, the hornady bullets aren't a very pretty group (1.25"), but after 300, they are shooting sub moa groupsout to about 650, then I believe my optics come into play.
"I am a stone. I do not move. Very slowly, I put snow in my mouth and he won't see my breath. I take my time. . . I have only one bullet. I aim at his eye. Very gently, my finger presses on the trigger. I do not tremble. I have no fear"
Old 03-27-2006, 12:34 PM
Gold Member

sasquatch, thanks for the info. I will be loading up some more rounds this afternoon and I'll try out some of the listings here.

meister, thanks for the link, good read..a ton of info on that page!
Old 03-27-2006, 07:23 PM
Silver Member

You might try getting a stoney point ogive gauge and chamer ogive measuring device. It cuts the guesswork out of the OAL testing. I set mine .003 less than touching for the first ladder test, then when I find the speed the barrel likes, I'll mess with the oal a little. I try it touching the lands, .003 off, .006 off, .009 off. I'm usually dead on at .003 off. it's my meathod after a few years of messing around the old fashoned way.
OAL gauge
You'll need a comparator too.

Be kind to your neighbors... shoot quietly..
WWW.Gem-tech.com
WWW.Advanced-Armament.com